New to me Marshall 1974x, can you identify this mod as a PPIMV?

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

giogolf
Unrated

New to me Marshall 1974x, can you identify this mod as a PPIMV?

Post by giogolf »

Hey all,

Up until 2 weeks ago, I never knew this amp existed. TBH, I wasn't really a Marshall type of player even though a majority of the music I listen to is 60/70s Blues Rock. I am very familiar with the JTM 45, Bluesbreaker Combo and then the Plexis to follow, up to the JMPs and their combo variants. But I didn't know Marshall actually made an 18w Plexi'ish small combo in the 60's. In a local craigslist search I came across a listing for a 1974x for an excellent price considering new these things are way overpriced. Picked up, opened up to give it a health check and noticed someone was in there and done some mods.

1st, someone installed a London Power Scaler SV2, but didn't install the VCK and tone shaper. I have removed all that, because the work was soppy at best. In addition to that someone installed a remote lead to what I think maybe a PPIMV. I am including a picture, and placed a Red Star where all the connections are.

If someone can identify what it actually is and explain to me how it's supposed to work, I'd greatly appreciate it.
PPIMV.JPG
PPIMV2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: New to me Marshall 1974x, can you identify this mod as a PPIMV?

Post by JMPGuitars »

It's hard to see what's going on there exactly, but I'll give you a guess, and you can try and confirm.

I'm guessing there are 3 wires there, with 2 connecting to the grid reference resistors. The 3rd wire I would assume is a shield. My assumption is the other end of that wire would be connected to a potentiometer that would effectively make it what I call the "stupid simple master volume."

See if it makes sense compared to this:
Stupid Simple Master Volume.jpg
Again, I'm making a guess here, you'll need to confirm. There's some ugly things going on in that amp. Hopefully it sounds good.

Thanks,
Josh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

giogolf
Unrated

Post by giogolf »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Fri 10/13/23 10:26 am
It's hard to see what's going on there exactly, but I'll give you a guess, and you can try and confirm.

I'm guessing there are 3 wires there, with 2 connecting to the grid reference resistors. The 3rd wire I would assume is a shield. My assumption is the other end of that wire would be connected to a potentiometer that would effectively make it what I call the "stupid simple master volume."

See if it makes sense compared to this:
Stupid Simple Master Volume.jpg

Again, I'm making a guess here, you'll need to confirm. There's some ugly things going on in that amp. Hopefully it sounds good.

Thanks,
Josh
Yep that's exactly what it is, based on your diagram... The amp sounds great to me. Can you elaborate on what the ugly things are so I can correct them?
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

giogolf wrote:
Fri 10/13/23 10:40 am
Yep that's exactly what it is, based on your diagram... The amp sounds great to me. Can you elaborate on what the ugly things are so I can correct them?
If you don't have any audible issues you can ignore it and enjoy the amp. If you're bored and want to mess with it, read the modern ground schemes thread in my signature.

Thanks,
Josh
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

giogolf
Unrated

Post by giogolf »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Fri 10/13/23 11:26 am
giogolf wrote:
Fri 10/13/23 10:40 am
If you don't have any audible issues you can ignore it and enjoy the amp. If you're bored and want to mess with it, read the modern ground schemes thread in my signature.

Thanks,
Josh
Thank you, will do!
1 x