definitive 18watt tmb layout?

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

cruzthree
Unrated

definitive 18watt tmb layout?

Post by cruzthree »

Greetings all

My last build was a fender 5e3, and while there are lots of mods people have done, there is an 'official' layout and schematic that most kit builders/diy enthusiasts follow.

In trying to diagnose my new to me 18 watt TMB amp, I've been looking at the layouts and schematics available here and on the interwebs.

All the 18 watt TMB layouts are different, and schematics, where available, too. Take for instance the Triode Electronics, Trinity Amps, BYOC, Ceriatone, StuMac, Mojotone and TAD layouts. Then add the many versions available in the download section. It's almost overwhelming.

So, what is the 'official' layout/schematic for the 18watt TMB? Do the variations matter/ make a difference or are they just personal preference?

Cheers
0 x

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Re: definitive 18watt tmb layout?

Post by Daviedawg »

The Downloads section linked on the left has schematics and layouts referenced by Zaphod Phil which I believe form the origins of the TMB. Or if not origins certainly the source for all the early builds.
My view is that these would form the best basis for a build. But there is no official version as such.

Dd
2 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Re: definitive 18watt tmb layout?

Post by Bieworm »

You’re right. There is a sprawl of schematics and layouts regarding the TMB 18W. Luckily for me I was warned early enough about the amp by ZP and Josh. The fact that it claims to have a master volume while it actually doesn’t threw me off. That MV is in fact a kind of gain control that in fact does the opposite of what we would like to do, and that would be having more overdrive at a lower volume. This MV cleans up the tone.
Imho there are some 18W amps that have a lot better preamp overdrive than the TMB. Listen to the Tremolo TMB or the Superlite TMB and you get what I mean.
2 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"