I'm new here as of today...

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

1974x
Unrated

I'm new here as of today...

Post by 1974x »

Hello all. I'm just looking for tips or partial instruction on how to migrate from a Marshall JCM 200 DSL-100, to an 18 watt Marshall.

I got my DSL used at a great deal years ago, but I've grown tired of the lack of string detail, and the overall feel of the amp. I think it's too much amp for my limited abilities.

I'm here because the idea of a smaller wattage amp appeals to me, for use with different speakers, a 1X12, or 2X12, mixing Alnico blue's with Greenbacks or anything else.

I like the idea of having a smaller amp set to just at the edge of breakup, to maintain the spank and snap these amps seem to have - before they become loose and flubby. My thought was to order the https://www.trinityamps.com/product/trinity-18/ kit from Trinity Amps here in Canada.

If you listen to this clip at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgI88p-uPWk from the beginning until the 13 second mark. At 13 seconds, he dials the pre-amp down to about 9 o'clock. That cleaner spank he gets is amazing, but underneath you still hear that girthy mid-range.

Compare that tone to this 1974X: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgI88p-uPWk from 7:55 to 8:10. It has More spank, brighter, with the strat, while the Wang's 2204 has a "bigger" fuller sound. (The Wang's 2204 was recorded with a Burny SG using humbuckers)

Here's where I'm going with this... I find a lot of demo's of 1974'x, sounding boxy, sometimes, or squishy in the mids and lows. — Maybe it's the way some people push the amp. My DSL is the same, I find it sounds best around 3-4 on the volume, but then it's deafening.

With an 18 watt, I think it's more practical, even to use an attenuator with it, to set the amp at edge of breakup, and then attenuate the overall volume further. I can play loud in my house, but it's just too much on my ears.

Question: Why do smaller amps like the 1974X not have that forward stiffness in the mids like the Wang's 2204 does?

I either buy the Wang's, 50 watt 2204, and get a Weber MASS 100w Attenuator https://www.tedweber.com/mass/ ("Designed for use with 60w amplifiers and lower")

OR, an 18 watt Marshall kit, to run into a Weber MiniMASS 50w Attenuator https://www.tedweber.com/minimass/ ("Designed for use with 35w amplifiers and lower.")
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Re: I'm new here as of today...

Post by Bieworm »

Hey welcome!!!

I recommend you to do a little digging on this site and expand your options in regard to building an 18 watt amp.
And when you decide to build some version you like, you can also check the attenuator called Break Wind (viewtopic.php?t=25848)
this one is designed by Josh and should suit you perfectly for this project
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

1974x
Unrated

Post by 1974x »

Hi Bieworm, thanks for the reply. I will definitely do some digging around. The one issue I'm having is, that I don't see any 18 watt Marshalls in stores where I live. I need to find something else that's voiced like a 1974X, or TMB model. Maybe a Suhr or Friedman makes something like it.

When you said "expand your options in regard to building an 18 watt amp." What did you mean? Consider something other than an 18 watt?

Much thanks
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

1974x wrote:
Wed 11/22/23 12:05 pm
Hi Bieworm, thanks for the reply. I will definitely do some digging around. The one issue I'm having is, that I don't see any 18 watt Marshalls in stores where I live. I need to find something else that's voiced like a 1974X, or TMB model. Maybe a Suhr or Friedman makes something like it.

When you said "expand your options in regard to building an 18 watt amp." What did you mean? Consider something other than an 18 watt?

Much thanks
There are many 18 watt circuits on this site in the downloads section. I prefer the Tremolo TMB, but that’s personal and there’s a whole history involved. If you want to build a straight 1974x then I recommend the Modern Classic. It is very well documented and a proven design. Or maybe you’re rather planning to buy one assembled? In that case there are people here that will be able to build one for you. Where are you located at?
Oh and this needs to be pointed out.. the 18 watt is still a really loud amp, don’t let the number 18 mislead you, this ain’t no bedroom amp😉
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

It's 1974; 1974X is the reissue. Y'all are killin' me. 😉
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

1974x
Unrated

Post by 1974x »

Again, thanks for the reply guys. I should have clarified earlier. I've only heard an 18 watt once. I'm certain it was a 1974X in a guitar store. Some guy was playing it, and I don't think he had it dial in bright enough for my ears.

I've never played one. And I know 18 watt's is only about 5-6 db quieter than a 50 watt JCM 800. But the character of the 18 seems to have more upper jangle, almost Vox like at times. I really love that clarity and jangle.

I think I need to hear and play one beside a DSL, and try get a similar edge of breakup tone for each.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

1974x wrote:
Wed 11/22/23 7:32 pm
the character of the 18 seems to have more upper jangle, almost Vox like at times. I really love that clarity and jangle.
Then you may want to build one of the EF86 variants in the downloads section. That has the best of both worlds between the Marshall/Vox flavors. My newer variants deviate from the Vox EF86 values, so look at the classic versions if the Vox sound is important to you.

If you want the 2 channel version, look here: viewtopic.php?t=25606

The v2 EF86 is based on my newer design. The original is below it and that has the Vox values.
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Graydon
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by Graydon »

Welcome to 18watt.com.

I have found the Vox preamp to sound a little buzzy, almost transistor-y. I prefer the 18W preamp every time.
2 x
Sincerely,
Graydon Stuckey
www.gdsamps.com
www.guytron.com