Normal Chan mod question

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Jason Patrick
Unrated

Normal Chan mod question

Post by Jason Patrick »

Hey all, just a quick question. I have the jacks wired so one is both triodes are in parallel which I see is a standard mod. I ended up replacing the 50uf cap with a 1uf to cut some bass when using that jack. I wired it to a switch so I can switch in the normal 50uf cap in parallel so it’s per the schematic value on one side and then the 1uf by itself. Have any of you done this mod? I can’t seem to find it anywhere or I’m not looking in the right spot. Just want to see what others have found when doing this and anything else they may have done. The resistor is still the same and it’s still shared cathode. I did notice that the tone knob works a lot better now at lower volume !
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Re: Normal Chan mod question

Post by Bieworm »

Hi

There’s no magic there. 😉
The 1uf cap reduces the low frequencies. If I were to install this mod, I wouldn’t use a second input but I’d use a switch. That means less yankin’ the cable in and out. This is also pretty common in adding a boost switch. You’ll find plenty on that online
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Normal Chan mod question

Post by JMPGuitars »

There's something similar in the TMB Modern Classic: files/JMPGuitars_18W_TMB_Modern_Classic_Schematic.pdf

Generally, I use a .68µF instead and just leave it alone.

Thanks,
Josh
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale