Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Stick-man71
Unrated

Holy Trinity or Devil’s threesome?

Post by Stick-man71 »

Hello all,

Long time listener, first time caller.

I recently acquired a Gladius JTM 18 Classic (ss rectifier) amp head, that I’ve been running through a semi-open extension cab containing 2, 10” Kendrick black frame speakers (which I believe are 8ohm speakers).
I also have on order, a Barefaced Reformer 1x12” with the much maligned Celestion Ruby driver in 16ohms.

The amp itself has the ability to switch impedance between 4, 8’ and 16 ohms as well as 2 inputs for speaker 2 cabs. So here’s my question:

Given the above parameters, what would need to happen in order for me to hook both my 2x10 and my incoming 1x12 cab to the Gladius without suffering damage? Is attempting to do so just an exercise in futility?

I await the collective wisdom of 18w gurus.

Thanks and happy holidays to everyone
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Holy Trinity or Devil’s threesome?

Post by JMPGuitars »

Stick-man71 wrote:
Sun 12/24/23 12:01 pm
Given the above parameters, what would need to happen in order for me to hook both my 2x10 and my incoming 1x12 cab to the Gladius without suffering damage? Is attempting to do so just an exercise in futility?
It's a pretty simple thing, but you need to know the actual values. Look at the back of the speakers in the 2x10 cab and see their rated values. Then you need to determine if they're wired in series or parallel. Then you can see what the correct rating is for that cab.

If that cab is in fact 16Ω, then you could run both 16Ω cabs in parallel, which gives you 8Ω. However, most 18W OTs are sound best at 16Ω. That said, whether or not you can really hear the difference is another question.

If you hate that Ruby, let me know. I'll trade you something for it. I've never heard one in person, and I'm curious. 😉

Happy Holidays,
Josh
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Stick-man71
Unrated

Post by Stick-man71 »

Thank you Josh, your reply was clear and concise and much appreciated.

Funny you mention the Ruby as almost a novelty as I feel the same, and despite the vast majority of users panning it, I can’t help but think that maybe the speaker is a little “misunderstood”. I’ve heard a couple of clips wherein the speaker sounded pretty damn good to my ears.

If I could afford replacing them, i would’ve gone with a Blue but I run OD’s, Fuzz, and an Octavia fairly often which seems like the perfect recipe for murdering a 15w speaker.
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Most people don't understand that speakers compliment some amp circuits, and sound terrible with others. If they have a favorite speaker, and try it with a new amp, they might think the amp sucks, without understanding that the two are not compatible with each other. There might be a speaker they didn't think was awesome that sounds better than their favorite with the right circuit.

In any case, I have some nice speakers that could replace that Ruby if it's not happy with your amp. 😉
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale