Marshall 4-10 slant cab construction help

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

myamp
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by myamp »

I posted this request at the yahoo website. I am going to build an 18 watt head and I like the looks of the 4-10 slant cab on page 190 of the Doyle "The History of Marshall" book. I assume it is still the same as a current model.

Does anyone have any construction details. I have no cab for references. What does it look like in the inside ect. How is a Marshall baffle board made? I have a lot of experience with Fenders but not with Marshall's

Thanks Tom
0 x

SpentMusic
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

4X10 slant cab

Post by SpentMusic »

Hi Tom,

I have a 4 X 12 cabinet built that is still naked and will post some pictures of the baffle and inside for you. The top of the cabinet is 3 inches thinner then the bottom (11 as opposed to 14) on the 4 X 12 cabinet. Not sure what the difference would be on the 4 X 10 but guessing the same ratio.

The baffle is made of 2 pieces and held together by a brace on the inside and the outside. My digital camara is in Florida with my wife and kids on holiday. Won't be back till Friday.

Hang on till then and will get them to you.

Jeff Swanson
SpentMusic, Inc.
www.swansoncabinets.com :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
0 x

79strat

Post by 79strat »

I too have lots of pictures of the insides of a 4x12 cabinet - one I recovered, and a couple that I built. I also have construction "plans" which I drew for a 4x12 (though they don't show the insides).

I already tried to upload the cab plans for somebody else but don't think they made it - the attachment mechanism isn't real straightforward (help appreciated). If you email me though I can forward all the stuff directly to you, or put it out on the web someplace (later today at the earliest).
0 x

SpentMusic
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

4 X 12 construction pictures

Post by SpentMusic »

Hi 79 Strat,

Send a copy of them to me and I'll upload them to the site. You can send to jeff@swansoncabinets.com

Thanks,

Jeff
0 x

79strat

Post by 79strat »

Jeff,

I've forwarded a PDF file to you by email. Feel free to do whatever you'd like with it. Regarding the pictures - I'm not sure how much sense they will make to someone without the accompanying text, but I've put them out on the web, in one long page: http://www.randytroast.net/plexi/ProjectPics.htm. You or anyone else that wants them can just right-click to grab them.

I had also tried to upload a couple of PDFs of a 71' SL-100 front and back panel layout (that I think were also going to be put in the downloads area), but I don't think those made it up either. I can resend them if anyone is interested.
0 x

79strat

Post by 79strat »

Almost forgot these, the pics that might help "myamp" the most - http://www.randytroast.net/plexi/Slant-a.htm. They're pages I stuck on the web when I was building a cab for a friend. Ignore the bad web design. The pics show some of the inside cab detail though, not present on the plans forwarded previously.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Re: Marshall 4-10 slant cab construction help

Post by zaphod_phil »

Hmmm, I didn't think Marshall did a 4X10. :? The 4X12 was/is their hallmark, and one of the factors that gave them edge over Fender withe their 4X10s. Not having read Doyle's book yet, I may well be wrong....
myamp wrote: I like the looks of the 4-10 slant cab on page 190 of the Doyle "The History of Marshall" book. I assume it is still the same as a current model.
0 x

myamp
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by myamp »

Thanks for the pictures they give me some help and raise more questions.

It looks like you are using 3/4 inch birch plywood. How is the front edge of the cab constructed? Is it glued on to the plywood and supported by a strip on the inside? How wide ith the front edge? How is the grill cloth and the piping attached? Is the baffleboard attached first? With a two piece baffleboard I am having trouble understanding how the grill cloth is streached.

I have only had experience with Fender products.

Thanks Tom
0 x

79strat

Post by 79strat »

Here are some answers:

The plywood is 11-ply, 5/8" Baltic Birch. The "Baltic Birch" part isn't important, but the fact that it is void-free is. When you can find it, it comes in European sizes - a 5x5' sheet, which as I indicated earlier, makes an entier 4x12 cab with virtually no waste. I have a source in LA for the wood (just got some today) and if you really get stuck, could probably rough saw up a sheet and ship it.

The front edge of the cab is just a strip of fir 3/4" thick, glued and nailed to the plywood (I think my plans may say 7/8 - the total thickness including the cabinet sides should be 1 3/8"). You may want to leave the nails protuding so you can pull them after the glue dries. This is so that you won't hit them when you route the edges.

The baffle is removeable, and attaches from the back to the 3/4" cleats mentioned above with wood screws.

The grill cloth is stretched and stapled to the edges of the baffle (remember, it is detachable). There is no great way to do this and it is something you want to do right, as Marshall's basketweave cloth has lines that will show if not straight. I have sometimes attached the opposite edges of the grill, cut two inches or so longer than eventually will be necessary, to some 1x2" pieces of plywood, or even a thick dowel. This allows me to pull the cloth tight along its whole width, from both ends. You can then staple the edge of the fabric while it is under tension. It helps to have four hands during this process. Some people report lightly wetting the cloth first with distilled water, so that it stretches further and then tightens as it dries. I haven't tried it. Remember though, that basketweave cloth is actually a form of paper.

The two piece baffleboard is actually one piece once it is assembled. you should be able to see in the pictures, a center horizontal brace to which both the top and bottom baffles are glued. The brace is made from a 2" thick piece of fir (or thereabouts) to which the 11 degree angle is cut. It also helps to cut an angle on the two baffle pieces where they join (ideally, 5.5 degrees each).

The piping on the cabinet goes into channels that are roughly the width of a saw blade (there are some pics of this out on the web). Once you put the vinyl on, the channel is just wide enough to accomodate the piping. You can glue it in or not, but in any case it is stapled to the inside of the cabinet.

The piping on the baffle actually gets stapled to the inside of the 3/4" cleat that thickens out the front edges of the amp. There is a flange on the piping that takes the staples. This actually the easiest part of finishing off the cabinet. Remember that the baffle has to be cut small enough all the way around that there is room for the grill cloth and staples (tap them flat with a hammer once you are satified that the grill looks right).

Think that's it. As I said, if you get stuck I might be able to help obtain the wood. I can also take some additional pictures to help with various stages. Coincidently, I may be building a 4x10" for my friend's son - I was going to "invent" one until reading this post, and looking on page 190 of a book I have had for years. So thanks!
0 x

myamp
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Thanks for the answers

Post by myamp »

Thanks for the help. This will get me off to a good start. I do have access to baltic birch plywood. I just have to make a finger jouint jig for my table saw.
I made one once for 3/4 inch pine for a Fender cab. but I can't use it for the i/2 inch material I was going to use for may head cab. Once I get the bugs out I can covert it for the 4-10 cab.

Did Jeff post the pictures you sent on this site? I don't know where to look other than at the Gallery section.
0 x

79strat

Post by 79strat »

For pics just follow the links in two of my previous posts (above). By the way, I just started a 4x10" cab yesterday. I'll cut the angle on the front probably today or tomorrow and can send you the dimensions once I finalize them. Remember that on the plans I sent the 7/8x7/8 strips that "beef" up the front of the cabinet are slightly less. I just measured the the front-facing edge with calipers at 1 15/32 including the two pieces of levant.

My friend is taking pictures of the progress as it is his son that we're building this for. I can send you those that show the inside detail if your interested. Just email me.
0 x

SpentMusic
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Cabinet pictures

Post by SpentMusic »

Hi Tom,

I starting taking pictures last night and will zip them and send directly to you. Send me your home email address and they will be their tonight.
jeff@swansoncabinets.com

Jeff Swanson
SpentMusic, Inc.
0 x

Gabi
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by Gabi »

Hi all...

Just a short note to announce that I added Jeff Swanson's drawing (pdf file) in the Download section at the Layouts and Dimensions category...
In other words here:

http://www.18watt.com/Storage/L_and_D/B ... -1960a.pdf

Gabi.
0 x

Graydon
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by Graydon »

That is a 4-12 cab isn't it? If not, it's a huge 4-10 cab! :P
0 x
Sincerely,
Graydon Stuckey
www.gdsamps.com
www.guytron.com

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

It has the 1950 A at the end of the link ..so i would think it is a 4x12 slant cab..
If you have the Doyle book.. it gives the dimensions of a 4x10 cab as in the old style for the 20 watt heads..
It height 25" width 25" by 11 3/4 " deep.. and probably has the same ratio to get the angle.. its on page 190

Richie
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

woops ment 1960A..hit the wrong key..should proof read before posting..lol
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

Just too add.. the 11 3/4" is the top.. the bottom should be 3" more in depth ..as Jeff pointed out for the angle.. since its the same measurements as the 4x12 in depth..i'd say just take the heigth and width..then use the 4x12 refrence for the depth to get the exact size..
Hope this helps..
Richie
0 x

Gabi
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by Gabi »

Oh no....

Now i see i posted the announcement in the wrong thread!

It supposed to go in the "4x12 cab demensions" thread...

Sorry, Sorry, Sorry....

gabi.
0 x

79strat

Post by 79strat »

The PDF file is the one I sent to Jeff for posting - it IS a 4x12 and per my earlier post, the 7/8 x 7/8 dimension listed for the front-of-cab thickening is off. I'll fix it and repost as soon as I have a chance.

As I also mentioned, I've started a 4x10" slant. The dimensions were taken from the Doyle book (pg. 190) - 25 x 25 x 11 3/4" The slant angle is 11 degrees, and starts 12 3/8" from the bottom of the cab. The depth of the top of the cab winds up being 9 1/4".

I've attempted to attach an in-progress pic (very early stage, just started) that shoes the 4x10 shell and an eventual "MarWatt" head. Haven't had much luch with the attachment facility though so, no breath-holding.
0 x

myamp
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

4-10 cabinet construction

Post by myamp »

79strat what is your email address? Can I just send email to your web page?

Thanks Tom
0 x