Crayy-zeee 36w ideas.....

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Daz

Crayy-zeee 36w ideas.....

Post by Daz »

Well, maybe not so crazy, but here goes.

I have a friend/potential client that wants me to build him an amp. i just gave him my 18 watt TMB head to demo, but he mentioned his ideal amp would have channel switching and some sort of gain boost (making it in essence, a three-channel amp)
He also thought that 36 watts might be a little better for his needs.

I see Weber has a nice little relay kit that I could use as a channel switcher. I also have read a thread where Jersey Aaron has implemented a gain boost.
All do-able mods.

Now, lets get weird - how about power scaling? Has anyone here had any experience with power scaling, and would there be room in a 36 watt chassis for all this "stuff"?

Again, this is all in the conceptual phase; just wondering how viable these things might be..... :D
0 x

bnwitt
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

How bout some pedals?

Post by bnwitt »

Modern modeling amps have got everyone wanting everything in one box. In the old days you got yourself an amp with great tube tone and then added a couple of pedals for when you wanted to break out on a lead solo. Lately I have been using my Roland VG-88 in conjunction with my 50 watt plexi (which is in the amp hospital at the moment) and what I get is tremendous solid state versatility and incredible Power tube tone. I think it's the best of both worlds.

I have also coupled my Digitech Valvefx preamp (with a 12AX7 in the preamp) and that sounds just great! I am working on a design where I can put the Valvefx into the tube amp cabinet and interconnect them for a all in one box solution. With midi control as well, you could get rid of the pedal and have the laptop make the changes for you.

Current hybrids have it backwards if you ask me. Tube preamps with a solid state power section. I like it the other way around. I think you need about 30 watts of tube power (50 watts is too much for most gigs) and a great midi controlled preamp with a muti-faceted pedal( like a Digitech Control One) and you can do anything. You might even find yourself hitting the bypass switch on the pedal to get back to that great pure tube tone once in a while.
Barry
0 x
Corona AmpWorks
Guides on Your Quest for Tone

AC-128
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by AC-128 »

From my experience, the more "stuff" you stuff into a single box (be that a pedal or an amplifier), the greater are the chances to have problems with it in the long run.
Why don't you recommend/build your friend/potential customer a Matchless Hotbox? It has two channels and can push the front of your 36Wattter really hard too!
0 x