Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Gabi
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Grill Cloth Swatches

Post by Gabi »

Hi all...

I thought of sharing the results of my research in the grill cloth area thinking that this one will be of some interest to some of you.

I've found this site http://www.georgemfabric.com/ that has thousands of swatches online. You can ask for up to 5 free samples and they will send them to you. This is what I did with the attached 5 swatch samples (the swatches have the same name on their site and they are in the Chenille section) that I thought look close to the original grillcloth Marshall used on their cabs...

My problem with these swatches is that I am not sure how they would affect the sound. They are a little... thick. To what I know, a grillcloth should be sound-transparent. However, I would live it up to the experts to give their oppinion on this one.

Take care
Gabi.
0 x

GlennG

Post by GlennG »

Gabi

This is a great find. Does this cloth let the sound thru without muffling it?

Thanks
Glenn Gertis
0 x

Gabi
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by Gabi »

See, Glenn, this is what I do not know. I would be willing to send you the swatches to you or to Jeff S. for a study... Let me know...

Gabi.
0 x

markh
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by markh »

Even if these do muffle the sound a bit, you could always just adjust the tone control for more treble. I don't think any of the Marshall/Fender/Vox designs are short in the treble department!

--mark
0 x

LeeM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by LeeM »

Thick grillcloth, the cheapest attenuator!
0 x

SpentMusic
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Grill cloth and tone

Post by SpentMusic »

All of the old Marshall cloth was very thick and did roll off the highs a bit. Ever think whay they become so bright as the years went by and the fret cloth became grill cloth? Just a late night opinion. I'm full of them tonight.

Gabi, send me any sample you have and Bob and I will test them while we go through speaker and cabinet testing.

Jeff Swanson
SpentMusic, Inc.
0 x

Gabi
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by Gabi »

Alrighty...

Jeff send me you address on my email. I'll send them tomorrow to you.

The thing is they are only 3"x3" swatches. I am not sure how you can test that for tone :mrgreen:

Take care,
Gabi.
0 x