My 18 Watt "Zoso" Project

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

fierce_carrot

My 18 Watt "Zoso" Project

Post by fierce_carrot »

Just posted pix of my finally completed 18 watter using Graydons kit, cab from Mojo and celestion blues.

Lemme tell ya, this mutha ROCKS, and as you can tell by the pix I am a Gibson fan. This amp and a Les Paul just smoke, plain and simple.

The logo didn't come out well in the pix, I'm not a camera person, but its made of polished brass and is very shiny. Its a stark contrast on the front of the amp with the white tolex and black grill cloth.

Thanks to everybody in here for some incredible info. I've read every post and expanded my knowledge far beyond what I thought I could. This project has been a blast but now I'm left wondering what to build next?

Lynn Cowden
0 x

myamp
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by myamp »

The rig looks great. Wish I could afford that many guitars.

Could you explain more about the mojo cab?

Tom
0 x

fierce_carrot

Post by fierce_carrot »

The cab is from Mojotone

http://www.mojotone.com/woodshop.shtml

and is a BluesBreaker 2 cabinet setup for 2x12"s. I had it covered in Marshall White Levant covering with black grill cloth with gold hardware. The construction appears to be first class and the only issue I had with it was that on one of the speaker baffles, 2 of the 4 threaded speaker posts used to mount the speakers were off just a hair. Wasn't a big deal to fix but was a stupid error to make. Their template must be off. It took approx 2 weeks from the time I ordered it to the time it hit the door. The amp cover is supposed to ship this week. I'd definately recommend taking a look at them if you are shopping for a cabinet.

The logo "Zoso" was my way of putting my signature stamp on the cabinet. I had a local sign company laser cut it out of polished brass and the pix just don't do it justice as it really stands out against the white tolex.

The guitars you see are about half of what I own. With this amp I've gone back to my roots and have picked up playing Les Pauls again. The white one is a 1955 Les Paul Special I call "sweetness" and I got her about 10 years ago when I traded a relative about $300.00 worth of used computer parts for her. I then had her pro refinished and put almost all of the original hardware back on. Those P90's on her just scream with the 18 and I use her exclusively for slide guitar.
0 x

Greeneyes0v0

Post by Greeneyes0v0 »

"""Wasn't a big deal to fix but was a stupid error to make. Their template must be off."""

I don't know what they used, but you will find if they used ameriacan measurements.. They may be off just a small fraction if you use an celestion which i think they measure in mm.. And it will appear off just a bit.
But then again might just be they drilled it off just a little.

But if you've swapped american speakers,or vice vera..in to cabinets using oppisite type made speakers.. they will be off just a small bit.

Richie
0 x

Greeneyes0v0

Post by Greeneyes0v0 »

Ha... forgot to mention .. COOL looking amp!! nice logo too..
The members here seem to always turn out some fantastic looking amps.

Richie
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Fantastic looking amp. That ZOSO logo is a terrific piece of work, even if in the pictures it looks like it's been anodized black. How did you get it made?

PS: I'm green with envy at your guitar collection - especially the Flying V. :mrgreen:
0 x

fierce_carrot

Post by fierce_carrot »

Getting the Zoso logo done was a project in itself. I had to first FIND a good copy of it and that was not easy. I must have visited every Zep site on the net and finally found one that could be used. I then had a local sign company take the image, blow it up to the dimensions I wanted and then they laser cut it out of polished brass. I was absolutely knocked out when I got it back, and its really a shame that it doesn't come thru on the pix because it really adds alot to the amp. I wish I knew how to take decent pix because I'm sure its me not knowing how to take pix thats creating the problem.

The Flying V is a 2001 Limited Edition and its a REAL smoker. I use it for my Micheal Schenker moods. I love to take it to the blues jams because the blues nazis and purists always react like a vampire does to a cross. Its got great tone. Now that I'm back to my Les Paul roots I'm considering selling most of my guitars that aren't Les Pauls and finding a 58 Gibson Historic in a cherry sunburst with a plain top.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Actually, I think the pictures of your show it very well - it's only the colour that's out. :lol: Maybe just try taking a picture of the logo plate on it's own against a piece of dark material, to get the natural brass colour to show up - I think it's the white Tolex that's causing the problem.

BTW, I think the flying V also makes a great blues guitar too. Haven't any of those pseudo blues snobs ever heard of Albert King? He played his V left-handed. And Jimi Hendrix played a flying V as well at times, including at the Isle of Wight festivial IIRC. Hmm, he was left-handed too. Maybe the lefties like the V's symmetrical shape...
0 x

Greeneyes0v0

Post by Greeneyes0v0 »

"""including at the Isle of Wight festivial """

Being a huge hendrix fan, i always thought that was one of his worst shows.. up for Days, many hrs late.. you could just see it in his face and playing.And at the end just throws his guitar down,and walks off. As most players know, you can always have a night that everything just gets worse the harder you try. There were a few things that were still pretty good.. but not at his best...ok just blabbin.. Just not many with him playing the Vee

Better watch out with the Zoso amp, Jimmy Page may be lurking..

Richie
0 x

fierce_carrot

Post by fierce_carrot »

You know the blues nazis, every town has them. The "Purists" who diss you if you don't subscribe to their narrow view on exactly what the blues should be. If you aren't playing a strat thru a fender then you aren't worthy of their stamp of approval. I choose the dissident route, a les paul and a marshall! It definately gets their attention!

Iffin Jimmy Page himself wants my Zoso amp then he's gonna have to pay! I always wondered why rich people got free things and everybody else to buy them?
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Sounds like these guys are pretty darn ignorant about blues. Les Pauls and Marshalls are a great blues combination. Think Peter Green, or Eric Clapton in his Bluesbreakers and Cream days. Or think Gary Moore.

Sorry, folks if we're straying off-topic here. Maybe this should be in the BBQ section......
:oops:
0 x

Shea

Post by Shea »

Hee hee, a Brit is calling the Yankee blues nazis ignorant because they didn't account for the gear used by a bunch of British "blues" players. Look, we don't tell you what kind of vinegar to put on your fish & chips, do we?

Actually I agree with Phil in the sense that blues shouldn't have to stay frozen in time to any particular tone, gear, or location. The blues nazis are a silly bunch of guys anyway. But when you look at it that way, Les Paul + Marshall is no better for blues than any other setup is. You could play blues on a Steinberger into a Soldano if you really wanted to.

Apparently the guys whom I think of as real-deal, hard-core, undeniably BLUES bluesmen prefer Polytone amps, not Fender or Marshall.

Shea
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Well I'm actually trans-Atlantic in my roots, and just happen to be living in London at the moment. Now there's this huge paradox about the blues. It was originally American black music, but got taken up enthusiastically by white players, some of whom were very good (eg SRV), and then of all things by some crazy Brits too! You just listen to Gary Moore's blues playing, and you can see that he sure knows his stuff. But my comment about the ignorant 'bles nazis' originally went back to Albert King with his Flying V, who was neither British nor white. I've always thought of the Polytone Minibrute as more of jazz players amp, rather than blues. Fenders to me are more about country music. But does anyone know what amps BB King uses, BTW? I know his guitar sure isn't Fender, but I wonder what he uses for amps.
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

I could be way off,and just guessing here...but i think he used a Twin reverb some. I'm sure there were others he used too since hes played for may years. He also used SS amps
"""Also get B.B.King signed as an endorsee for their Lab amp line",""
Think these were Gibson offshoots..
I think Ty Tabor used those too..
Others used the Yamaha SS amps

..as did Albert King used SS amps(acoustic and Jazz chours).. look at guitar geek.com for Alberts setup.

One has to remember alot of the British guys and bands were the ones who
listened and played the early blues stuff.
As did some americans.. just gald they all kept it going or opened it up so people could hear it, and experiment.

I hope the off topic police don't arrest me..

Richie
0 x

markh
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by markh »

I've heard (and seen in person) that BB King uses whatever's available when it comes to amps. I read an interview once where he said his agent just hires an amp for him in each city so there's nothing to cart. And, surprise, it always sounds like him anyway. :wink:

I once saw BB at the Academy of Music in Philadelphia, and the "amp du jour" was a Marshall half stack! Hmm, now that I think about it, his sound was a little thicker than normal that evening. :mrgreen:

I wonder how he'd sound through an 18watt... (<-- gratuitous on-topic reference).

--mark
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

markh wrote: I once saw BB at the Academy of Music in Philadelphia, and the "amp du jour" was a Marshall half stack! Hmm, now that I think about it, his sound was a little thicker than normal that evening. :mrgreen:
Heck, with a Gibson guitar and that Marshall amp, I sure hope the blues nazis didn't attack him after the gig!
0 x

tedm

interesting thread!

Post by tedm »

I also thought of the Polytone amps as jazz amps, that's how they seem to be marketed when I was in Japan.

BB King was using Roland Blues Cube SS amps for awhile after the LABs. EC gave him one of the tweed twins John Suhr built at the fender custom shop, but I don't think BB uses it regularly.

To me, blues are Robert Johnson and poor folks who will play though any amp they can get their hands on and lug around. I recall a blues interview where the blues guy went from a blues jr to a pro jr because he had to carry it a lot, and the pro jr weight a little less.

I think the electric guys, SRV, Led Zep, EC etc. have influences from the blues, but I don't see them as originators or creators of the blues. The blues are a lifestyle, maybe more than a musical style.

I know of this girl who moved from Osaka to Memphis to play bass in blues bands. Blues people do things and live their lives the way other people might not.
0 x

ColinM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: interesting thread!

Post by ColinM »

Blues people do things and live their lives the way other people might not.[/quote]

Ted - It sounds like you're 'on a mission from God'. I guess it's dark and you're wearing sunglasses. :mrgreen:

I've seen BB twice in Scotland. Once he was using a silverface Twin, the other time (gulp) a Mesa Boogie. It's my strong guess that both these amps were borrowed/hired. Either way, he sounded remarkably like BB King each time :lol:

It kind of reminds me of something Pete Townsend said once about Jeff Beck, "Hand the bastard a trombone and it'll still sound like Jeff Beck". Some players just have that instant 'recognisability factor'. They can use any gear at the end of the day; you'll still know it's them. Wish I had it :x Regards, Colin
0 x

tedm

Post by tedm »

[quote="ColinM"]Ted - It sounds like you're 'on a mission from God'. I guess it's dark and you're wearing sunglasses. :mrgreen:
[/
quote]

haha, all my amps have Cop switches, Cop knobs, Cop pots, Cop tubes, and Cop Iron!! ;)
0 x

ColinM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by ColinM »

haha, all my amps have Cop switches, Cop knobs, Cop pots, Cop tubes, and Cop Iron!! ;)[/quote]

Don't tell me, Ted;

The 1X12" model is the 'Jake' and the 2X10" is the 'Elwood' :lol:

I hate the Illinois Blues Nazis too :wink:

Colin

ps Graydon, Gabi I know we should be on the barbecue forum :oops:
It's just kind of developed this way - it won't become a habit....
0 x