Almost back to life in our new house!

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Graydon
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Almost back to life in our new house!

Post by Graydon »

Guys,

We moved! I still have no idea where anything is but we "live" in the new house. :D Just thought I'd come up for air briefly!

Over the next few weeks I will begin to arrange things around here and try to find my tools and my amp parts so I can resume building amps again (in between new house projects, honeydoos, and outdoor recreation with the kids.)

My new address for those of you that need or want to contact me (or even better yet, drop by) is:

Graydon Stuckey,
GDS Amps
7518 Driftwood Drive,
Fenton, MI 48430
0 x
Sincerely,
Graydon Stuckey
www.gdsamps.com
www.guytron.com

Moose

Post by Moose »

We moved! I still have no idea where anything is but we "live" in the new house.
I've been in this place nearly 10 years and I still don't know where everything is. At least you have an excuse!

Happy unpacking. I hope it goes smoothly and you enjoy your new place.
0 x

Gabi
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by Gabi »

Graydon!

Congrats on your new home!!! You'll have to send picture of the new furnished basement and studio... :mrgreen:

Gab.
0 x

Graydon
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by Graydon »

Thanks guys.

Gabbi, my old basement was far nicer than this new one. I have alot of work ahead of me to get the new basement where I had the old one. When it is finished, it will be nice although it isn't any larger than my old one.

Curiously, the man that bought our old house is also an active guitar player and so he will enjoy my old basement to the fullest I am sure. I even left all my Stringswing guitar hangers for him. He managed to negotiate a deal with his wife that if she got my house, he would get a new custom built guitar. I think he is going for a Viellette short scale 12-string! I was asleep when we bought our house. I should have negotiated for a new guitar or amp. :wink:
0 x
Sincerely,
Graydon Stuckey
www.gdsamps.com
www.guytron.com

Gabi
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by Gabi »

Hahaha!!!

Negociation with wife?!?! I never thought of this before!
Let's see, I'll buy her a garbage disposal and she'll let me invest in a JTM45, or a new 18watt? hmm....

good idea!

gab.
0 x

Wrongdog

Post by Wrongdog »

:D Congrats!
I am a Realtor. I do that to people all for a living!!

Actually sold a house to my buddies last this Fall and he negotiated a new 5 string bass with his wife. I did NOT broker that deal!! I stay out of the those negotiations when possible.
0 x

Wrongdog

Post by Wrongdog »

I need to proof my posts.....
0 x

LeeM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by LeeM »

Hey Graydon,

When I was a kid in the 50s we had a cottage on Tipsico Lake and Fenton was the closest town. That's where we went for groceries, a movie, etc. Bet it doesn't look the same now as it did in 1958.
0 x

Graydon
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by Graydon »

Gab,

Youve got that all wrong. If you buy a $100,000 house for your wife, you might be lucky to squeeze out a $1000 amp for yourself.

Wrongdog,

My wife is a realtor also. She loves houses as much as we love guitars and amps. That saved us a bundle on this house. Plus, the buyers of our old house hired Janice to sell theirs (which she did within a couple weeks) so we made out pretty well all around.

Lee,

Do you still have any family/friends around here? Come visit some time!

Gotta go make dinner for the kids... :D
0 x
Sincerely,
Graydon Stuckey
www.gdsamps.com
www.guytron.com

Andy

Post by Andy »

I hate moving...so much so that I've not done it in 16 years :D Must be nice having a basement. I've only lived here in California and in southern Florida. Neither place is basement country!

Congratulations on the move, Graydon. I hope you and your family will be very happy in the new place.
0 x

Graydon
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by Graydon »

Thanks guys for the well-wishes.

It is funny how basements have become somewhat of a regional thing. I grew up in Canada where most homes had basements. Here in Michigan, most homes have basements too. A basement is so cheap to build when building a house that it is almost silly not to do it. Where else would you put your junk? Now, a walkout basement is a significant selling point too so hilly properties usually command more money just so that a house can be built with a full walkout basement.

Saw three ducks in the front yard this morning and 6 deer on the road when I took my boys to the bus stop. :D And, my wife reported that she saw an animal with a white stripe on the back deck last night. :mrgreen:
0 x
Sincerely,
Graydon Stuckey
www.gdsamps.com
www.guytron.com

servant
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by servant »

Hey Graydon,

Was reading your reply to StratKing over at the BBQ in which you state:
"full colour illustrations". I says, "Hmm... With spelling like 'colour' he's either a Brit or Canadian." Then here you say you grew up in Kanata. Where aboot? (<-- a little humour for the Americans...)

I am from the Seattle area but now live in Calgary under dual-citizenship. Basement country to be sure. Only trouble is our older boy has him bedroom down there (complete with drums, new SG, old Peavey SS amp [don't ask... hand-me-down from his Dad], stereo, TV, Nintendo). Family room outside his room has another TV, GameCube, PC, Sony MiniDisc 4-track recorder, my Blues Jr., Peavey bass amp (good modern little thingy). Trouble is that I never get any "alone time" in the basement!

Have been keeping up on things here at the forum and would like to build me an 18-watter. Problem is that I only play "out" on worship team at church where the rule is not merely "controlled stage volume", but "NO stage volume". The Blues Jr goes in the back room and gets mic'd. A new amp would just be heavier. Sadly, I am considering a (gulp) PODxt... :oops:

Forgive me fellows!

Dean
0 x

Wrongdog

Post by Wrongdog »

PODS can work. They have there place and anyone who sez otherwise is myopic. Borrow one and see if it works for you.

Can't you and your son find common musical ground and jam? I may be very naive about that!! The lead guitarist in my band is a tremendous player but he and his son (17) are on different musical planets. They respect each others thing but it ends there other than showing each other some stuff.
0 x

servant
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by servant »

Hey Dog,

re: the son... Funny thing is I let him find his own musical space and, to some (great!) extent, we met at what he calls Classic Rock (what I call the music of my yout <---per Vinny's cousin). I didn't want to say "listen, son, you gotta learn some Zeppelin". One day he sez "Hey Dad, can you show me how to play Black Dog?". That'sa my boy!

Dean
0 x

Wrongdog

Post by Wrongdog »

:D Excellent! I have a 7 year old daughter and its Radio Disney torture!

Not much connection for me though she loves Beatles and swing.

Its understood that Sunday is NPR Blues for dad no matter what. They let me lock myself in the garage with the soldering iron and amp or guitar project of the moment. My playing time is limited (thus my playing reflects this) due to the tiny but expensive houses and my tendency to get a bit loud.

I laugh when I hear my daughter ask me to turn down. That is one thing I never asked my old man! Quite the contrary as I am sure was true for most of us.
0 x