Help with hum...experts needed

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

fzfwyv
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Help with hum...experts needed

Post by fzfwyv »

I recently completed a 36 amp. The thing sounds so awesome except for a persistent hum. The hum is there whether or not a guitar is plugged in. On the TMB channel, it gets a little louder when I fiddle with the volume and it seems to slightly change tone when I mess with the tone knobs. The normal channel doesn't affect it at all.

So maybe, it's possible it's narrowed down to the TMB channel (maybe not?). The hum never really changes volume though, its quite loud and always there.

Does this sound like a grounding issue? Or maybe somethin else? What would be the best way to trouble shoot this? Maybe something with the preamp tube socket?

Aside from the hum, the amp works great and sounds even better, but the hum makes it unacceptable and unusable.

Any help and suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

-Rich Szmagaj
0 x

2BDH
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by 2BDH »

It could be a weak ground connection for the filter caps. Cap-can ground/center tap ground point. I had this problem once. I didn't have my ground terminal tightened enough to the chassis.

Brent
0 x

joe6v6
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by joe6v6 »

Im not fimiliar at all with the 36 watt layout but it sounds like a ground issue to me. I have had a very similar sounding problem with a couple 5e3's Ive built and both were cured by moving grounds around. I dont know what layout you used but I would sugest looking at a known good layout and following the grounding schem exactly or as close as you can. Good luck and keep us posted. . Joe
0 x

JonFrum
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by JonFrum »

If the hum does not get louder when you turn up the volume, then it's probably entering the circuit after the volume pot.

It could be a bad solder joint causing a grounding problem. Components overheated during soldering can be damaged. Try replacing the preamp tubes with known good. If the output tubes are imbalanced, that could cause hum. If you did your own layout, the grounding scheme could be causing a problem.
0 x

Ballz
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Ballz »

Did you make some DC reference for the heaters? My standard trick involves a 100 (or so) ohm resistor tied from each heater wire to the cathode of one of the power tubes - this usually cures 90% of my hum issues.

2 resistors and 5 minutes of work will tell if it´s a grounding issue or not.

Make sure the heater wires are twisted and running well away (and/or at right angles) from any signal wires.

Also make sure you have the volume and tone controls grounded properly, change their ground points temporarily if in doubt.

I built an 18W some time ago that behaved like this. After much grey hair, I finally moved the tone control ground from the preamp ground to the PI/PWR amp ground point, problem gone.

Cheers /Rick
0 x

fzfwyv
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by fzfwyv »

Thanks guys!!! I have some things to try & will keep you posted.

-Rich
0 x

fzfwyv
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by fzfwyv »

Well...hum is still here...I'm losing what little hair I have left trying to figure this thing out...

At this point I'll try anything 'cause tha amp really sounds good but it's unusable with the hum!

-Rich
0 x