KingCrimson's Orange TMB Photos

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

KingCrimson
Old timer, Never stops talking

KingCrimson's Orange TMB Photos

Post by KingCrimson »

Thanks to Jeff Swanson for building my cabinet, and Nik for the TMB kit.

And thanks to everyone helping me here at 18watt.com.

I named it Citru-Tone because I live in Florida, the amp's orange, and also notice it says "TRU-TONE" after the CI. And by the way, it's a tangerine on there - NOT an orange, so Orange Amps can't sue :twisted:

Anyway, I'll take better photos later, but here it is for now.

And oh, it's quiet as can be......when it's supposed to be anyhow.
0 x

Foster
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Foster »

Awesome! Good job!
0 x
-Tim

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

very nice looking.. i bet it has a 'Juicy" tone..

Richie
0 x

LeeMo
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by LeeMo »

KC,
I'm inspired. What a great color combination. I'm sure it sounds as good as it looks. Tell us about any "Mods" that it has. Besides the TMB , that is.

I've watched the "J. Beck" video at least ten times today. MAN!!! He blows ( by Blows) me away. I saw him live in the seventies with Bogart and Appice and also Jan Hammer.
On the video I notice a few things.
#1 no pick
#2 what control he has . It made me dig out my whammy and screw it on my Strat.
#3 love that rack on the drums.
#4 great musicians

If you are a Jeff Beck fan, I have some trivia for you. In the eightties , there was a movie starring Danny Devito and Gov Ahnowld entitled, "Twins". When they are in the club dancing, Look at the guitar player in the country band. The guy with the goofus cowboy hat. Yep , that's our boy. I saw it first in the theater, and jumped up and pointed, "That's Jeff Beck." My wife had to pull me back down and "Shush" me.
LeeMo
0 x

tbone

Post by tbone »

Very nice . 8)

Very nice guitars too.I have a transparent teal USA Deluxe Fat Strat .
The humbucker in the bridge is so cool.

Tim
1 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

""""The guy with the goofus cowboy hat. Yep , that's our boy. I saw it first in the theater, and jumped up and pointed, "That's Jeff Beck." My wife had to pull me back down and "Shush" me. """"

That was funny... . That clip of JB was awesome!! I have a few videos of him playing,never had a chance to see him live yet.

Richie
0 x

Coco
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Coco »

What do you think of the sound with Cane grill cloth? Does it affect the high end? What speakers are you using?
0 x
coco

what_wires
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by what_wires »

Coco wrote: Does it affect the high end? What speakers are you using?
I had a M/B Studio 22 with cane grille cloth and it didn't affect the speaker response.
0 x

KingCrimson

Post by KingCrimson »

Coco wrote:What do you think of the sound with Cane grill cloth? Does it affect the high end? What speakers are you using?
I've got 2 G12H30's in the thang. To be honest with you, I haven't had a chance to unleash the volume yet because I live in an apartment, but I will this weekend at a friend's house. I HAVE cranked the volume on both channels at the same time without playing to see if there's any squealing and such, but there's not so far.........only the expected residual speaker hiss.

And LeeMo, yes, the Jeff Beck video is pretty scary. He seems to have changed his style into a sort of launching of more abstract palettes of tone and dynamics. It's funny - I bet some shredders watch him and think, "well, he's not playing anything too impressive or fast", but I tell you what what - He's the KING of milking notes and tones out of that Strat in a way that makes you stop and go, "how did he do that, and where did THAT come from?" I don't even think HE knows where it comes from.

And LeeMo, no mods. I've never held a soldering iron in my life before this build, so I didn't want to get too wacky. I can't believe this one even works.

tbone, thanks for the comments on the guitars, and thanks to the rest of you for the nice comments on the amp. I wanted to sleep next to it last night...........................BUT, it still smells of being freshly tolexed, so I opted not to. Besides, the wife would get jealous. :lol:
0 x

DutchMarco
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by DutchMarco »

Hey KC, that looks very smart! I like the look of the cane material too, I had that in mind as well in case I would ever make an orange amp/cab.

About the little discussion we had earlier re the orange tolex/basketweave: this is indeed no basketweave, so no authentic Orange covering. But it looks a lot better than I thought it would. Congratulations! It's good to see some non-black amps.
0 x

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

That is a really nice looking amp. How did you do the nameplate?
0 x

KingCrimson

Post by KingCrimson »

rjgtr wrote:That is a really nice looking amp. How did you do the nameplate?
Funny you should ask, because I had trouble finding someone who could pull it off.

It's white painted metal, and the graphics are exactly as the logo I designed. Even the tangerine looks perfect, like you could almost bite it.

I found a place in Tampa, FL by calling in the Yellow Pages. Pure luck, but they do such great work. Here's their website:

http://www.gelgee.com

His name is Dale, and also he can probably do chassis faceplates as well because he had examples of those types of things at his office.
0 x

bcjames
Unrated

Post by bcjames »

That looks awesome!

I wish i could decide what colour tolex to order for my combo!
0 x

sgtoverdrive
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by sgtoverdrive »

very nice king crimson you are one squared away marine!!! sgt od
0 x

bnwitt
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Wow

Post by bnwitt »

KC,
great work my friend! Tweak it, retube it, but, Never let that amp go.
0 x
Corona AmpWorks
Guides on Your Quest for Tone

KingCrimson

Post by KingCrimson »

bcjames wrote:That looks awesome!

I wish i could decide what colour tolex to order for my combo!
I suggest FAWN. You know, the 70's brownish/tan color?

That was going to be my first choice, but that fell through.

bnwitt,

Thanks for the words. You're right, I won't be selling it on ebay. Not a chance.

sgtoverdrive, thanks to you also.
0 x

KingCrimson

Post by KingCrimson »

I FINALLY got to ALMOST crank the amp today jamming with some friends. If any of you are looking to build the 18 watt so you can play at low volumes in a house apartment, this amp is NOT for you if you want it to growl. These 18 watters are alot louder than I thought.

The tone was just monumental. I didn't use reverb, chorus, delay - nor did I need them. I DID use my Fulltone Fulldrive some on the TMB channel to see how it would react with the amp. That's probably about all I'll ever use to spice things up. Sounded wonderful.

On the downside, I encountered a crackling at the higher volumes, regardless of channel. Towards the end of the jam, I tried jiggling the speaker wire I had just soldered in a couple of days ago when I received my cabinet. After that it worked perfectly for the last 15 minutes of the jam. I will go ahead and resolder the speaker connections, but in the meantime, does this issue sound familiar to anyone else to where the crackling only happens at the highest volumes? I'm crossing my fingers it's only the speaker connections.
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

could be the speaker cable..or something loose,or cold solder joint. Thats what it sounds like.. sometimes the componets are soldered good,but just the vibration ,the leads and caps vibrate,tubes or retainers,and pick up a buzz or noise. Theres alot of vibration going on. Combos are known for this happening.
Some people use silicone type stuff to put on the caps or resistors.

It may sound crazy,but when you look at a layout or schematic,you just see the parts, the things you don't see are how the componets can vibrate and cause noise. Some things i do, is use rubber washers under the boards mounting bolts. You could also strip some solid core wire about 18 ga. and use the insulation to slide over the leads of the caps and resistors, this will help,and make sure the leads are pushed down along the board. I'm sure there are alot more methods,but these are some that help. Sometimes its a little more extra work but it helps in the combos.

Richie
0 x

KingCrimson

Re: KingCrimson's Orange TMB Photos

Post by KingCrimson »

Oh no! Are the photos deleted from this 16-year-old thread?

Unfortunately, I had to sell this amp in about 2009.
0 x

KingCrimson

Re: KingCrimson's Orange TMB Photos

Post by KingCrimson »

I found the old photos today on an old portable hard drive.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x