KingCrimson's Orange TMB Photos

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

KingCrimson
Old timer, Never stops talking

Post by KingCrimson »

bcjames wrote:That looks awesome!

I wish i could decide what colour tolex to order for my combo!
I suggest FAWN. You know, the 70's brownish/tan color?

That was going to be my first choice, but that fell through.

bnwitt,

Thanks for the words. You're right, I won't be selling it on ebay. Not a chance.

sgtoverdrive, thanks to you also.
0 x

KingCrimson

Post by KingCrimson »

I FINALLY got to ALMOST crank the amp today jamming with some friends. If any of you are looking to build the 18 watt so you can play at low volumes in a house apartment, this amp is NOT for you if you want it to growl. These 18 watters are alot louder than I thought.

The tone was just monumental. I didn't use reverb, chorus, delay - nor did I need them. I DID use my Fulltone Fulldrive some on the TMB channel to see how it would react with the amp. That's probably about all I'll ever use to spice things up. Sounded wonderful.

On the downside, I encountered a crackling at the higher volumes, regardless of channel. Towards the end of the jam, I tried jiggling the speaker wire I had just soldered in a couple of days ago when I received my cabinet. After that it worked perfectly for the last 15 minutes of the jam. I will go ahead and resolder the speaker connections, but in the meantime, does this issue sound familiar to anyone else to where the crackling only happens at the highest volumes? I'm crossing my fingers it's only the speaker connections.
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

could be the speaker cable..or something loose,or cold solder joint. Thats what it sounds like.. sometimes the componets are soldered good,but just the vibration ,the leads and caps vibrate,tubes or retainers,and pick up a buzz or noise. Theres alot of vibration going on. Combos are known for this happening.
Some people use silicone type stuff to put on the caps or resistors.

It may sound crazy,but when you look at a layout or schematic,you just see the parts, the things you don't see are how the componets can vibrate and cause noise. Some things i do, is use rubber washers under the boards mounting bolts. You could also strip some solid core wire about 18 ga. and use the insulation to slide over the leads of the caps and resistors, this will help,and make sure the leads are pushed down along the board. I'm sure there are alot more methods,but these are some that help. Sometimes its a little more extra work but it helps in the combos.

Richie
0 x

KingCrimson

Re: KingCrimson's Orange TMB Photos

Post by KingCrimson »

Oh no! Are the photos deleted from this 16-year-old thread?

Unfortunately, I had to sell this amp in about 2009.
0 x

KingCrimson

Post by KingCrimson »

I found the old photos today on an old portable hard drive.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

KingCrimson

Post by KingCrimson »

Here are some various gut shots.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

KingCrimson

Post by KingCrimson »

0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

KingCrimson wrote:
Sat 12/25/21 12:28 pm
I found the old photos today on an old portable hard drive.
Thank goodness for that! :D What great photos those are too! :D
1 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Re:

Post by zaphod_phil »

Plexi wrote:
Sun 01/16/05 8:06 pm
could be the speaker cable..or something loose,or cold solder joint. Thats what it sounds like.. sometimes the componets are soldered good,but just the vibration ,the leads and caps vibrate,tubes or retainers,and pick up a buzz or noise. Theres alot of vibration going on. Combos are known for this happening.
Some people use silicone type stuff to put on the caps or resistors.

It may sound crazy,but when you look at a layout or schematic,you just see the parts, the things you don't see are how the components can vibrate and cause noise. Some things i do, is use rubber washers under the boards mounting bolts. You could also strip some solid core wire about 18 ga. and use the insulation to slide over the leads of the caps and resistors, this will help,and make sure the leads are pushed down along the board. I'm sure there are alot more methods,but these are some that help. Sometimes its a little more extra work but it helps in the combos.

Richie
I've also encountered thus problem When there was dirt and oxidation on the 12AX7 pins. Just needs cleaning the pins with some steel wool and plugging the tubes in firmly.
1 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp