Basic 36 Watt questions

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

NewGuitar
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Basic 36 Watt questions

Post by NewGuitar »

1) Is there a complete BOM, schematic, and layout for the 36 watt TMB? Do these exist for Richie's T-REX?

2) The major differences between the 18 and 36 watters seem to be the following: a) Headroom, b) total preceived volume, c) the 36 has a master volume. Is this correct?

3) Do lower volumes of the 36 watter still provide distortion with the master volume turned down, or should I add an attenuator for bedroom level practice?

4) Is there a layout and schematic for adding reverb to the 36 watter?

5) Some of the posts from last year indicate chassis and trnasformers that will be available for the 36 watter. Are these available now? I'm after the head layout.
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

I don't know if Nik has a BOM..but he has the chassis,and board,probably even load the board to save you some work. Faceplate /backplate etc.
This is for the 36 watter.. the Trex is not posted,that was something i cobbled together.

The transformers are from Heyboer.. don't quote me on the prices,since this is a new year,things tend to go up every year,but this was what was posted last.
Power transformer : HTS-7042 bumped up to 290-0-290 stand up $80
Output transformer: HTS-7013-1 $75
Choke: HTS 7040 $28

Just email this to him, he'll know what to do (heyboertransform@novagate.net).

"""The major differences between the 18 and 36 watters seem to be the following: a) Headroom, b) total preceived volume, c) the 36 has a master volume. Is this correct? """

There is a bit more to it than this. but basicly yes. Seems this amp can do 18,and plexi type suff with a little extras thrown in, vol is more than the 18.

"""or should I add an attenuator for bedroom level practice? """

Yes for bedroom you would need that. This amp is close to being as loud through a 4x12 as a plexi. A good gig vol is a 2x12 cab,need more use a 4x12

I don't have a schematic or layout for the reverb for this amp,but others have added it to some TMBs.

Yes those transformers are availible now. I have a temporary layout..the volume controls for the normal channel are 500k. And Nik drew the transformer a a through the chassis type..to show the hookups. But there are a couple differences. I'll try to get that updated to the Heyboer PT. Plus i think afew have been working on this amp too,so they may have a pic. I have another 36 watt about 75% finished.

Also Graydon has his 36 watter and chassis transformers etc..

Richie
0 x

NewGuitar
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by NewGuitar »

Wow! Thanks for the fast reply.

Who is Nik? Is he with http://www.ceriatone.com?
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

yep thats him..
0 x

NewGuitar
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by NewGuitar »

Thanks again.

Regarding the attenuator would you recommend I go with a simple resistor bridge, or would the weber mass be best? Is the weber some kind of impedance inductor?
0 x

chriswu101
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by chriswu101 »

I have a seperate post on this a little while back.....Heres a link http://18watt.com/modules.php?name=Foru ... pic&t=3193
Also, there is a link awhile ago for the schematic:
http://www.18watt.com/modules.php?set_a ... _photo.php
Plexi is right on with the pricing too........I must say they provide excellent service and workmanship. If you have any questions on parts selection or anything, you can email me at wwwujek@charter.net .

Chris
0 x

EBE
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by EBE »

I have a set of Graydon's Heybour/36 watt transformers. The PT is a through the chassis style with lugs instead of wires. Pretty cool looking. The OT is just like the 18watt style only bigger. I have one more 18watt TMB build before I get to the 36 though.

Norm
0 x

NewGuitar
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by NewGuitar »

Yes. It does look like Nik and Graydon provide some really good stuff at great prices...

Thanks very much for the feedback.

Hutson
0 x