It's Alive!

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

gravitylow

It's Alive!

Post by gravitylow »

Here are some pictures of the amp I just finished. The first channel is working great and sounds fantastic. The second channel, well it needs some work. I decided to make it into a preamp with a Baxandall tone stack. Right now it squeals like a stuck piggy so I removed the tube.
I haven't tolexed the speaker cabnet yet but it has a Weber Blue Pup and a Silver 10.
I used mercury Magnetics 20watt transformers and add a 3h choke.

GL
0 x

stsk

Post by stsk »

looks good.... i cant wait until i start building mine

btw... thats a sweet looking guitar ;p
0 x

gravitylow

More Pictures

Post by gravitylow »

I ment to post more pictures but they didn't upload for some reason.
0 x

markh
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by markh »

Another nice-looking build. If you would post internal pictures that were larger, some folks here might be able to help with the squeal problem.

--mark
0 x

Gabi
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by Gabi »

Great looking amp, GL!!!

Question: Why did you use the choke and where did you connect it in the 18 watt schematic?

Gabi.
0 x

gravitylow

Closeups of bottom

Post by gravitylow »

Here are a couple of closeups of the bottom of the amp. The original preamp works great but the second one with the Baxandall tone stack squeals. I also get a noticable amount of 60 cycle hum with the volume all the way up.

Some of the differences with my layout:
I used a dual star ground with the preamp grounds going to one star and the power stuff going to the other. I then connected them together with a 22 awg wire.
I used isolated jacks so everything is isolated from the chassis except at one point at the power star so I could easily isolate the grounds from the chassey.
I put all the components on the turret lug card because I don't like the way the orriginal amp has "flying components" soldered to the pots.
I added a 3h choke similar to a Fender amp with the choke between to 32uf caps just after the standby switch.
I also brought the filiment winding to a terminal strip and stared them to the tubes. I did this mostly because I had a lot of difficulty running a serial connection to with 18awg to all the tubes. Also, since I am using the Mercurey Mag 20 watt transformers there is no second filiment winding for the rectifier tube so it is tied to all the other filiments.

Thanks for you help,
GL
0 x

gravitylow

trouble posting pictures

Post by gravitylow »

Is the some size limit to pictures? They don't seem to be getting uploaded. I will try them one at a time.
0 x

gravitylow

copy of schematic

Post by gravitylow »

Here is the schematic.
0 x

servant
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by servant »

hehehe... the new guy must be going GRRRRR by now! :wink:
0 x

Gabi
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by Gabi »

GL...

It might well be that the pics you try to upload are too big or they fill up your attachment quota...

Here is what you can do: sent the pictures zipped in a email to me ( gabi@pattersongray.com ) and I'll make an album on the Gallery section. Or if you want you can upload the photos yourself...

Let me know...

Gabi.
0 x