18w w/reverb?

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

drewl

18w w/reverb?

Post by drewl »

well, this is my next project, so.....
I don't need tremolo, so was going to install reverb on mine. Anybody try this yet?
Also, cascading ch1 & ch2....too much gain?
0 x

drewl

Post by drewl »

What? 50 people viewed this and have nothing to say?
0 x

drewl

Post by drewl »

What? 50 people viewed this and have nothing to say?
0 x

servant
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by servant »

You can say that again...
0 x

EBE
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by EBE »

I will saying something... :D

I would like a one channel, trem, reverb with a realatively standard preamp tube set. This is beyond my design expertise.....

norm
0 x

Psalm150
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Psalm150 »

Yeah, that would be cool. It's great having trem and reverb in one amp. My first amp was a 70s Peavey classic. It sounded like warmed over crap but it had reverb and trem. Man, you can't beat a slow blues in a minor key with reverb and tremolo! Like a midnight train chuggin out of the fog!
0 x

Professor

Post by Professor »

My traynor has reverb and trem. you can get some cool sounds out of an amp with both.

as for your situation a lot have people have talked about making an 18w with reverb but the ideas usually fizzle out.

if you do decide to make one i would suggest a tweed or blackface fender deluxe reverb circuit in my opinion that is the best sounding reverb around.

good luck
0 x

markh
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by markh »

If was doing this, I'd add a Fender-style reverb, and put the insert (3.3Meg) on the trem side.

--mark
0 x

Graydon
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by Graydon »

Mark Durham did build an 18W with reverb. He surmised that since Marshall borrowed so much of the 18W from Watkins, they probably also borrowed the reverb circuit from Watkins (or someone similar) so Mark researched some reverbs from other amps of the period in Britain and developed his reverb from what he learned there. I think IIRC that he was pretty happy with the reverb tone overall. His schematic is on the yahoo site I think. If not, perhaps he will jump in here eventually and tell us more.
0 x
Sincerely,
Graydon Stuckey
www.gdsamps.com
www.guytron.com

drewl

Post by drewl »

Thanks all!
I salvaged tranny's and chassis from a dead Gibson Super Medalist and was looking for something cool to build with them!
BTW i just built a Matchless Chieftain out of a traynor custom reverb that turned out extremely well.
0 x

SteveinTempe
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by SteveinTempe »

:idea:
There is a hammond chassis AO-43 from a tone cabinet
I have a few of them, I have built so far the "normal channel
and I am sure that reverb would be the best way to go
because it already has the transformer and tube to drive it.
It used to be a "reverberation amp.

If you want a cheap project 18watter with reverb this may be an option
tubes
5u4, 2x6bq5, 2x12ax7 1x12bh7 (reverb driver)

They are not real easy to work on but I have one running and so far so good, obviously some drilling and other handy work is needed.

It mounts well in the bottom of a 2x12 I am not so sure about inverrting this in a combo.. perhaps a head cab with a faceplate would be better.

But there are a lot of these showing up as organs and tone cabs get scrapped.

Quality transformers, the right tube combination even a decent
board to mount components plus the built in reverb circuit...

FYI folks..
I will post my results and pics as I build further.

Steve
0 x

loverocker
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by loverocker »

Re cascading - a friend (who had one back in the day) said that a common mod was to disconnect the Volume wiper of one channel and take it via a .022u cap to the input of the other channel. Cascade and sort-of Master Volume in one. Not sure if that helps.

I'll be cascading triodes to provide a switchable Lead channel in my 18W project. Don't hold your breath for info though - I'm r-e-a-l slow ;)
0 x

Bob

Post by Bob »

I am in the process of building an 18 watter with the reverb, I have all the parts including the board already made By Glenn G. and a blank 18 watter Chassis. The only things I need is the PT & OT. E-mail Grayton a couple of months ago about making some face plates for the amp with controls for dwell tone & mix, I know he have been buzy so I have not press the issue. E-mail at Bking@bhe.com and I share the information that I have.

Bob
0 x