12 hours

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

neil

12 hours

Post by neil »

...and I still feel out of my depth tolexing my amp. How do you get that curve where the chassis goes? I keep ripping tolex and it isnt easy to get it in the uk!!! Is there a stencil or some idiots guide? I am desperate!!!!!! Maybe I should have a beer and forget it.

Any help appreciated again
0 x

Professor

Post by Professor »

toilex is much more workable when it is warm i would suggest a hair dryer or a heat gun (on low) and work it very slow.
0 x

Psalm150
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Psalm150 »

Arh, matey! Take ye a draught and leave the tolexin to a swab whose done er afore!
0 x

Sean

Post by Sean »

Hey, there are two ways of wrapping the cutout. The first method is to lightly sand the back of the tolex where it will be stretched and then apply heat from a heat gun or hairdryer to this area. Stretch it down when the material is hot and pliable. Assuming that contact cement is being used, while holding down the inner corner apply a dab of gel super glue to the inside corner. Next pull the heated tolex over the corner and hold the piece against the corner hard for about 10 seconds. The super glue will give a tight bond and never relax.

The other method (as used on the originals) is to make a diagnal cut in the tolex to the center of the inside corner, just to the right (or left) of the curve. Assuming the cement is applied, hold down the half closest to the curve and make sure it stays in place (apply tape if you have to. The overlap from the cut can be pulled even with the cut and glued in place. This method is easier but can look **** if cut wrong.

Good luck.

Sean Phinney
0 x