18w S/C with SS rectifier?

Tube-specific discussions

Moderators: zaphod_phil, CurtissRobin, colossal

v00d00blues79
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

18w S/C with SS rectifier?

Post by v00d00blues79 »

I'm in the process of building a 18w S/C, but i am trying to conserve costs here and am wondering how it would sound with a SS rectifier... Also, i have a PT that puts out about 285-0-285 and i'm wondering if that would be enough to get this project moving along. The PT was from an old Gibson GA-5T that was parted out. It was a strange monster that had 2-EL84's for output instead of 2-6V6's... I'm just trying to get a decent sounding first amp under my belt. =)

Thanks,

Andy
0 x

79strat

Post by 79strat »

Our 18w "plexi" clone has a SS rectifier - we just switched to a Hammond PT (260-0-260, 90ma) that gives us, roughly, 345 volts on the plates. The Herboer put us up around 270. Amp sounds great.
0 x

v00d00blues79
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by v00d00blues79 »

Compared to a Tube Rectified version, is it harsher? or milder? or not discernable difference? I'm going to be using a hammond 125E for the OT... temporary untill funding for the project is increased.... =P
0 x

79strat

Post by 79strat »

I don''t know what the difference would be in a stock 18 - ours has a plexi-type preamp (shared cathode, TMB + presence) coupled to a pretty standard 18w power section. Took awhile to tame tame the front-end gain and until we did that, the whole amp sounded harsh. Though I haven't heard one, I don't see how the "November" circuit can sound good without tweaking but again, I haven't heard one.

It also took awhile to get "rid of" the tube rectifier (didn't want to be chasing tubes) and the choke (another remnant of the plexi circuit). I'm not the one that made the circuit changes, but I kept complaining until I heard what I wanted ("uuns" on this board did the circuit work). Anyway, I'd never go back to a tube rectifier in this amp at this point. I'll see if I can get other's to pip in (uuns, sgtoverdrive?).
0 x

JonFrum
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by JonFrum »

All things being equal, the rectifier shouldn't have anything to do with harshness. SS rectification should give you a tighter feel, quicker response.
0 x

s2
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by s2 »

I just used this little rectifier from Mouser for the first time: 821-SBT607. It is ecapsulated and has solder tabs, so you just screw it to the chassis and wire it up. Works great and rids you of the hassle of making your own. I think it cost something like $1.75 and is rated 1000V at 6A.

Here is a pic of it in action:

http://www.18watt.com/modules.php?set_a ... _photo.php
0 x
--s2
Custom Amplifiers
Amp Parts & Accessories
www.s2amps.com
www.category5amps.com

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

JonFrum wrote:All things being equal, the rectifier shouldn't have anything to do with harshness. SS rectification should give you a tighter feel, quicker response.
However, if you use FRED rectifiers (eg UF4007s), in theory at least, you can get a smoother sounding high end, due to less high frequency switching noise from the SS rectifiers getting in.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp