anyone tried Mercury OT?

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

gatlin
Unrated

anyone tried Mercury OT?

Post by gatlin »

found some topics on output trannys. many forum folks stick with Heyboer. and, agreed.
but, still want to get more info on Mrecury tranny. do anyone has this?
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

The people that i know have used them in aother amps say they are fine,
Some also use west lab, which are the Matchless type trannys, EMC I also liked.. the one factor is.. The EMC and Heyboer cost alot less.. you can get both for less than just the OT from some of the others.
Then the main thing is..the Heyboer and EMC were modeled after the same transformers the original amps used, for voltages and tone of the OT. And they are made to fit Graydons chassis. It makes it alot easier and less expensive to use the Heyboers. I know they sound great and are as well built as any. There probably alot of different trannys that would work, but you'd have to modify the chassis to make them fit. Unless you use a different chassis. Just my thoughts.
0 x

gravitylow

I've used them

Post by gravitylow »

I used a complete set of MM tranies on my amp and am very pleased with the results. I used their 20W versions. The MM tranies are very high quality. The only problem I ran into was that the power doesn't have a second filiment winding so I just used the same winding for all filiments. I cut my own chassis from a BUD box so I didn't care about the dimensions. You can see pictures in the Gallery under Wayne (aka gravitylow). I also have ACAD drawings of the chassis if you need dimensions.

I also built a Fender BFDR using their tranies and was very happy with that too.

Wayne
0 x

gatlin
Unrated

Post by gatlin »

thanks guys.
I'll get MM and Heyboer, and will post if there is noticeable difference.
0 x