Tone control in EF86 mod

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Attilio
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Tone control in EF86 mod

Post by Attilio »

Hi all!
I'm going to convert normal channel of my 18 watt to a EF86 channel (I added some shielded wire to my tremolo channel and now works perfect!).
I was thinking about the tone control to use...
do you think the stock 18watt tone control would be ok?
Otherwise, can you suggest me a good tone control for that tube?
Thank you very much!
Now I' m going to go to my local musical instruments store and ask for a EF86, I'm afraid they never heard that tube... :roll:
Let's see...

Thanks again!
Bye!
0 x

Attilio
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Attilio »

D'oh!
When I said EF86 the guy of the store made this face: 8O !
Now I have to order it by mail...

Bye!
0 x

Deadbeat2

EF86 one control

Post by Deadbeat2 »

I used the tone setup from the Spitifire in my EF86 build and like it. That would be my suggestion. Bruce J
0 x

Wayne_Alexander
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Wayne_Alexander »

In mine, I used the tone and volume wiring from the tremolo channel on the stock 18 watt. It works fine, if you're only going to have one tone control. I have found that the gain in that channel is insane with the stock 18 watt phase inverter wiring, though--to get a clean sound I have to use the low gain input and keep the volume control below 1, and the EF86 channel is a LOT louder than the stock 18W 12AX7 tremolo channel. At the top level it's kinda like the first Van Halen album, which is nice. I'm going to rewire the phase inverter with the early Vox AC15/AC30 values (they call that "Jason's Phase Inverter Mod" around here and there's a link posted to it on the home page) and see if that sounds better and doesn't make the tremolo channel (which is currently stock) lifeless. After I try it I'll post what happened, and whether I decided to go back to stock values.
0 x

Attilio
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Attilio »

Thanks guys for your replies! :)
I can't find a EF86 in my city, so on monday I'm going to order it and some caps by mail, when the stuff arrives I will make you know.

Thanks again!

Bye!
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Wayne_Alexander wrote: I have found that the gain in that channel is insane with the stock 18 watt phase inverter wiring
The gain of an EF86 pentode is way higher than a 12AX7's triode. The triode has again of 100. IIRC the EF86 somewhere in the thousands, although you never actually see all of that in a real-life circuit. Because of this EF86s are very popular for use with a James/Baxendal tone stack, as it is very effective, but attenuates the signal a hell of a lot.
0 x

Wayne_Alexander
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

I never wonder why hand-built amps cost so much. It took me about 3 hours, not counting shopping, to open up my amp, move a few things around and change about 10 resistors to make the phase inverter wiring like an early AC15/AC30 (it's called "Jason's Phase Inverter Mod" here). The 12AX7 tremolo channel is not as loud or dirty now, though it sounds very nice. The EF86 channel is a little less loud and a little less dirty. I probably prefer the revised phase inverter wiring with the EF86, which is still a gain monster. It's bright and Voxy with about as much gain as you can get from one tube. I played around with tubes a lot and decided I like the Mullard EF86 slightly more than the Phillips (the difference wasn't dramatic) and I like the EI Gold Elite 12ax7's better than other types-they've got more gain and harmonics. Weirdly, in this amp trading back and forth between JJ EL84's and EI Gold Elite EL84's didn't make a lot of difference. In an AC30 it's a fairly dramatic difference, with the EI's having more shimmer and gain and harmonics. Not in this circuit, for some reason. I guess I'd recommend the "Jason's Phase Inverter Mod" for those of you who are going to run an EF86 normal channel, though if you've got a stock circuit with 12AX7's all around I personally prefer the stock 18W phase inverter values. As to tone controls on the EF86, I've still got the normal channel tone / volume controls wired exactly like the stock tremolo channel. It works ok for a single control, though I might like to have it a bit darker. Would that mean a larger value cap?
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Wayne_Alexander wrote:phase inverter wiring like an early AC15/AC30 (it's called "Jason's Phase Inverter Mod" here). The 12AX7 tremolo channel is not as loud or dirty now, though it sounds very nice.
Hmmm, I think I prefer 18watters to be loud and dirty!
0 x

Attilio
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Attilio »

Thanks to you all! :)

I will modify to EF86 with the stock tremolo tone control without modifying the PI, and see how it sounds. If I don't like the sound I will go with the PI mod.
Now I have to find a EF86... I will order it to an italian website, which sells sovtek and ruby tubes EF86s, with a little price difference: which one is better?

Thanks again for your precious help!

Bye!
0 x

Wayne_Alexander
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

zaphod_phil, with the EF86 that channel is a lot louder and dirtier than a stock one with a a 12AX7, even with the revised phase inverter wiring. Without that the EF86 is almost uncontrollable, and is dirty at .5 on the volume setting. It just means that I'll use the EF86 channel for the loudest, dirtiest stuff, and the 12AX7 tremolo channel when I need tremolo and need to go only to, say, AC/DC levels of gain.
0 x

markh
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by markh »

Attilio wrote: Now I have to find a EF86... I will order it to an italian website, which sells sovtek and ruby tubes EF86s, with a little price difference: which one is better?
If the prices are similar, I'd try the Ruby - I'm so-so on current production Sovteks. With the Ruby, you never know where it was manufactured when you order it, but at least you may get a good one. :wink:

--mark
0 x

Attilio
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Attilio »

Thanks Mark!

I was looking on italian ebay and I found a matched pair of Philips Miniwatt NOS EF86 for about the same price of Rubys.
I don't understand matching preamp tubes, I think it can be useful only in stereo hi-fi amps...
Anyway, are these good? I mean, my ear is not so good to understand differences between different brands of tubes, I'm only afraid about microphonic. I heard that EF86 can be very microphonic, so I was looking for a good tube in that sense.

Thank you very much!

Bye!
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Wayne_Alexander wrote:with the EF86 that channel is a lot louder and dirtier than a stock one with a a 12AX7, even with the revised phase inverter wiring. Without that the EF86 is almost uncontrollable, and is dirty at .5 on the volume setting. It just means that I'll use the EF86 channel for the loudest, dirtiest stuff, and the 12AX7 tremolo channel when I need tremolo and need to go only to, say, AC/DC levels of gain.
The outrageous gain one can get from the EF86 can be tamed somewhat by use of a more lossy and more useful tone stack, such as the James/Baxendal or the Vox stack - which is kind of appropriate here. That way you get both treble and bass controls, and still tons of gain left over. I'm fascinated by your comments about the PI mods. I was seriously considering doing them myself, until I realised how very Vox-like they were, and to me Voxes are far too clean - think Beatle's 'Hard Days Night'. Brian May has to play his AC30s cranked flat-out and with a booster pedal on the input, to get his distortion. So like I said I'm fascinated that you're still getting dirt with the PI mods in.
0 x