Am I being unrealistic?

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

rbm

Am I being unrealistic?

Post by rbm »

I have been checking out the AX-84 project with doing a Marshall type amp as a goal. I figured it was wiser just to do their P1 amp first to get some experience then move up.
Now I hit this link and am fired up to build the 18W! Any feedback out there on this. I have only done a couple of radio-shack projects before. :roll:
0 x

Psalm150
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Psalm150 »

If you can solder and assemble, you can build an 18w. I do think you'd have the best shot with Gray's kit though. All the parts are there, you got instructions and pics too. Just be sure and practice your soldering before you start. You want to build an amp that'll be reliable, not with a bunch of cold solder joints and burnt parts that'll crap out on ya at any moment!
If you take your time and have some patience, it'll be no sweat.
Besides, everything I hear about the AX-84 is it's mediocre.
0 x

Brian

Post by Brian »

I have built the ax84 High Octane twice. The first build was somewhat problematic. It was my first amp! It is high gain and layout and shielding is critical. I rebuilt it recently with an el34 output and an improved layout. It is a nice sounding amp and I wont knock it. However, my 18 watt is where its at! :D It is the best! The only thing is you have to turn it up to get the goods! This may be a problem for some people. As far as difficulty, the 18 watt is actually a fairly simple project. The layouts and schematics on this site make it easy. I highly recommend it. If you cant decide which one to build.....do them both! :wink:
0 x

rbm

Post by rbm »

Thanks guys!! I'll go ahead and build the 18Watt! I'll get busy ASAP! :D
0 x

RicF

Post by RicF »

I'd second this opinion. I'm just finishing a P1 now, and part of me wishes I would have just started out with the 18 watt, since that's what attracted me to amp building in the first place. I'm on a limited budget and the P1 pretty much drained me of extra cash, so it'll be a while before I can put together an 18 watter now. But I am quite pleased with the sound of my P1 (father's pride 'n all); still way better than anything else I've owned, mediocre or not.
0 x
Ric Flinn

gtrmac

Post by gtrmac »

I built a Fender-style Tweed Deluxe Clone last year and it went well so I'm really looking forward to completing the 18 watt.

I think it's a pretty simple project but I have had a lot of experience with soldering and wiring. I would also recommend a GDS kit for the first time builder. It comes with instructions.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

RicF wrote:But I am quite pleased with the sound of my P1 (father's pride 'n all); still way better than anything else I've owned, mediocre or not.
Have you tried any of the P1 gain/MV mods yet?
0 x