Cool idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

bluevibeamps

Cool idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by bluevibeamps »

Anyone ever heard of dropping the signal after the power amp to line level and then sending it back through another power amp? If you could do this, I could imagine that you could get a ton of power tube distortion at low volumes!! :mrgreen:
0 x

loverocker
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by loverocker »

Yup - it's a great idea. Didn't Keith Richards do this using a Champ plugged into a Fender Twin or something? Plus (or course) it's exactly what Van Halen did when running his plexi into a Palmer speaker simulator and then into FX and H+H power amps.

I do it from time to time: '73 50W Marshall into Palmer PDI-03 into TC G-Major then into the hi-fi's Aux socket for cranked tone at bedroom levels. 8)

Be a whole lot more convenient if it was all in one box, of course :)
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Re: Cool idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by zaphod_phil »

bluevibeamps wrote:Anyone ever heard of dropping the signal after the power amp to line level and then sending it back through another power amp? If you could do this, I could imagine that you could get a ton of power tube distortion at low volumes!! :mrgreen:
You just need to make sure you have a load on the OT of roughly the right impedance, eg a 25W power resistor of around the same impedance of your speaker. Or an even better way is to use a Weber MASS, which has the 'motor' from a loudspeaker inside it, and provides a line output. http://www.webervst.com/mass.html
0 x