Sammi Speakers Rock (Part II)

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

lbet
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Sammi Speakers Rock (Part II)

Post by lbet »

I got my hands on a 40 Watt Sammi. Holy Jumpin'. This speaker has some really good grind. Just a shade louder than a green back but much better bottom. A pleasant surprise. Seems to be perty good for clean and dirty.

Here is a quick and clip I did the other night. I really want to hear how this speaker sits in a track.

Sammi Sound Clip
0 x

Rumbledown01
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Rumbledown01 »

Nice playing as always Lawrence!

Do you give guitar lessons by any chance???

I really like the Sammi I have in my 18 Watt as well
0 x

lbet
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by lbet »

Cheers Rumbledown01, where in Canada are you? Are you using the 40 or the 50 watter? (sorry about all the questions).
0 x

jas
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by jas »

Where did you guys get your Sammi's from? Did you import them, or is there a Canadian supplier? What was the final cost? Sorry for all the questions - trying to figure out my options for speakers.

Thanks muchly!

Joe
0 x

Rumbledown01
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Rumbledown01 »

lbet wrote:Cheers Rumbledown01, where in Canada are you? Are you using the 40 or the 50 watter? (sorry about all the questions).
I'm in Dundas (Hamilton).

I'm using the 40. I'm afraid I don't have much to compare it to though since this is my first Real amp.
jas wrote:Where did you guys get your Sammi's from? Did you import them, or is there a Canadian supplier? What was the final cost? Sorry for all the questions - trying to figure out my options for speakers.

Thanks muchly!

Joe
I bought mine slightly used from one of the forum members. You can order them through HeeBGB who is also a 18 Watt member
0 x

HeeBGB
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by HeeBGB »

Awsome playing Larry. One of these days I'm gonna take a trip up there for a visit.

Pricing on the Sammi's is $55US plus shipping. I currently have only the 40 watt (which is what Larry did his clips with) in stock in 8 ohms.

For those of you that have been asking via email about the AlNiCo 12" ...I am still waiting on it. Sammi has been fairly slow in responding.

Greg
0 x

dubs

Re: Sammi Speakers Rock (Part II)

Post by dubs »

lbet wrote:I got my hands on a 40 Watt Sammi. Holy Jumpin'. This speaker has some really good grind. Just a shade louder than a green back but much better bottom. A pleasant surprise. Seems to be perty good for clean and dirty.

Here is a quick and clip I did the other night. I really want to hear how this speaker sits in a track.

Sammi Sound Clip

Awesome clip and playing!! What guitar/pickups were you using? Sounds like a les paul? How did you record it? Even has nice room reverb going on.
Are you sure your name isn't Jimmy Page ??! :wink: :wink:
0 x

Bacchus
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Bacchus »

Hey Greg,

A while back you were trying out some 10" ALNiCo's Sammis you had received. How did they turn out?
I'm curious because I have a friend who's looking for 10" ALNiCo's.

Cheers.
René
0 x

HeeBGB
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by HeeBGB »

Hi Rene',

Actually the 10" AlNiCo's I am still up in the air on. I have them in a makeshift cab right now and they sound good but very boxy and closed in. In all fairness the cab means a LOT so I really want to reserve judgemant for when I get a good 1x10 or 2x10 cab.

Friday night some of the local forum members and I got together again to A/B NOS tubes and some various speakers. We had an Emi Private Jack there that came in a very small box. I had never heard a PJ before and it wasn't horrible but wasn't great either....well it turns out that later on we put it in another 1x12 cab that was a little larger. Let me tell you....you would not believe the difference. It was a completely different speaker. Very Very good.

BOX MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE!

We also had two new Celestion Heritage speakers. A G12M 20 watt and a G12H (not sure of the wattage here). Both were VERY good with the G12M being the winner between the two. We also compared the G12M heritage greenback to an earlier Greenback reissue that I have. Definately the same voice BUT the heritage was smoother and had no harshness on the top end. We also had some Celestion G12-65 there which were also very good. There was also a 10" Emi Ramrod (worst speaker name ever) which sounded really good for a 10" inch. Very open sounding and not boxy at all. If you are looking for a 10"...I recommend it.

We should be getting together again in the next few weeks. We tend to gather after someone has purchased something new to try out. BTW the heritage Celestions were right out of the box with VERY little hours on them.

Hope this helps

Stay tuned

Greg
0 x

Coco
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Sammi Speakers Rock (Part II)

Post by Coco »

lbet wrote:Here is a quick clip I did the other night.
Stellar clip. Played on the sIII, right??
0 x
coco

Mr_dB
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by Mr_dB »

HeeBGB wrote:Hi Rene',

We had an Emi Private Jack there that came in a very small box. I had never heard a PJ before and it wasn't horrible but wasn't great either....well it turns out that later on we put it in another 1x12 cab that was a little larger. Let me tell you....you would not believe the difference. It was a completely different speaker. Very Very good.

BOX MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE!

We also had two new Celestion Heritage speakers. A G12M 20 watt and a G12H (not sure of the wattage here). Both were VERY good with the G12M being the winner between the two. We also compared the G12M heritage greenback to an earlier Greenback reissue that I have. Definately the same voice BUT the heritage was smoother and had no harshness on the top end.
How would you rate Private Jack vs. Greenback?
0 x

HeeBGB
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by HeeBGB »

Hi db,

The PJ was very good in the bigger box but I would still take the GB over it. Truth be known..I am not really a GB reissue fan. I think the Heritage G12M is a much better speaker. It's also roughly 2x the price when new.

I just picked up some G12-65's that are really good too. I would take the Rola 65's over the standard GB reissue everytime. The heritage is a different story though. I think it's the same voice as the standard reissue GB but far smoother and no harshness. And that's right out of the box. I am told once it breaks in it only gets better. Very pricey though, about $220 each. I'll stick with the Sammi's and the G12-65's.

Greg
0 x

NitroLiq
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by NitroLiq »

Greg,

What were the tonal differences between the 12-65s and the Sammies? Did you load them in the same 2 x 12" cab?

Pete
0 x

HeeBGB
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by HeeBGB »

Not yet Pete. LBET just emailed me some more sound clips that came out really good. I am hoping he will post them soon. This Saturday I am planning to get together again if you are interested let me know. Last time we had a mini ampfest. 6 guys showed up. If you re looking to A/B speakers I think Dave from Dave's Sound in Whippany, NJ will be bringing a speaker box that accomodates 6 speakers with a switch to toggle between them. It will make comparing speakers really easy. If you can make it you will probably hear something you like. The new Heritage Celestions are really good too.

email me if you want to come. It's not definate yet,but I hope to confirm it by Tuesday. I think Allyn is coming down from Boston this weekend and I'd like to get him in there if we can. He's not coming specifically for the gathering but he will have more time on Saturday than Friday night.

I also have to see who else is able to come. I'll send out the group email monday and hopefully by tuesday it will be a done deal.

Actually I think Frank (Bitsandvolts) may show up too. You out there Frank?

Greg
0 x

NitroLiq
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by NitroLiq »

I can definitely make it if it's during the day. Will wait until the group email flies out.
0 x

HeeBGB
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by HeeBGB »

Scratch my last post....I have family obligations that just came up for next weekend. I am shooting for Saturday the 13th of August now.

I will be sending the email out tonight.

Greg
0 x

NitroLiq
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by NitroLiq »

No Problem. I'll have to bring some paper with me this time so I can sketch how to properly wire a 2 x 12" (for parallel or series speakers). Never did it before and have bad memories about trying to figure out how my old marshall cab was wired, comparing it with schematic diagrams. I know one day all this stuff will just one day result in a giant "A HA!!!" moment...heh.
0 x

DonR
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by DonR »

ibet,

What was the rest of the signal chain? What style 18 watt, what trannies, what pup's, etc.

Great clip,

DonR
0 x

allynmey
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by allynmey »

I'm in...............

Allynmey
0 x

lbet
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by lbet »

The dreaded double post
Last edited by lbet on Sun 07/31/05 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x