Sammi Speakers Rock (Part II)

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

lbet
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by lbet »

DonR wrote:ibet,

What was the rest of the signal chain? What style 18 watt, what trannies, what pup's, etc.

Great clip,

DonR
Coming up for air on a Canadian Long Weekend!!!

Hey Don, The signal chain looked like this.

Gibson Historic 335 with WCR Crossroads Pickups
Trinity sIII 18 Watt Amp. (Several mods including a lower gain TMB channel which is used for most of the clips).
Sammi 40 Watt speaker in an open back 1x12 cab. (can't wait to try this thing in a closed cab!!!)

The Sammi was close miked with an SM57 and an Apex 430 Condeser mic. The fed a Mackie VLZ mixer (used for the preamps and phantom power for the apex).

I use an M-Audio Delta-66 sound card and Adobe Audition. I used wave plug-ins for effects on mixdown. A bit of reverb was used as I recall.

The clips below are recorded with exactly the same setup except for the change of guitar for the strat clips, and the addition of a multi tap delay plugin for some of the stuff.

The amp had a boost switch on it. I called it country and rock. You can hear the difference on the strat clips (usually when I play the same riff twice. The cleaner sounds of the sIII throught the Sammi are quite sweet. This is evidenced in the opening riffs of Sweet 335. The first 20 seconds or so are on the lower gain setting. I likes that. The second neck pickup riff (20-35 seconds) are the same settings but the amp his in higher gain mode (still not as much gain as the more recent TMB design(s) on this site). I like the low gain setting because it is less compressed and more touch sensitive that your standard TMB channel. I can bridge channels if I want the crazy ass gain.

I was pleasantly surprised that the Sammi had the chops to do good clean and good dirty. I love the greenback dirty but, for me, it didn't get any better than average marks when clean sounds came into play.

Sweet 335 Stuff

Strat and Sammi

BTW, I have been playing the Sammi with my all weekend with my Two Rock amp. It just SMOKES in there too!
0 x

lbet
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Re: Sammi Speakers Rock (Part II)

Post by lbet »

dubs wrote:
lbet wrote:I got my hands on a 40 Watt Sammi. Holy Jumpin'. This speaker has some really good grind. Just a shade louder than a green back but much better bottom. A pleasant surprise. Seems to be perty good for clean and dirty.

Here is a quick and clip I did the other night. I really want to hear how this speaker sits in a track.

Sammi Sound Clip

Awesome clip and playing!! What guitar/pickups were you using? Sounds like a les paul? How did you record it? Even has nice room reverb going on.
Are you sure your name isn't Jimmy Page ??! :wink: :wink:
HEHE I seem to channel Jimmy better than I channel Jimi. From what I am told by WCR, the Crossroads are the pickups to use for page tone.
0 x

NitroLiq
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by NitroLiq »

To my ears, the sammis sound better in a smaller cabinet space. We plugged Allynmey's 18 trem chassis into both Greg's 2 x 12" combo cab and the larger (deeper) bluesbreaker cab. The smaller cab had a tone more remiscient of Lawrence's clips where you can hear the compression. The bluesbreaker was louder and much less-compressed. Different strokes for different folks but if you're more of a "touch" player, smaller cabs are the way to go, IMO.

Nice playing as always, L. Maybe we can record some clips next weekend if Greg has his computer set up. He does a nice rendition of "Little Wing."

Pete
0 x