What Every Newcomer Should Know...

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

jem

wiki?

Post by jem »

Why not use one of the wiki blocks for php-nuke? Let the collective knowledge of the members edit and update it, take the load off the admin's? (after it's set up)

Here's one
http://supersims.sourceforge.net/modul ... d&cid=6
0 x

MooreCowbelle
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by MooreCowbelle »

I'm with Jem on this one (even tho he looks kinda scary...)

A wiki-style collection of amp knowledge from the illuminati would be marvelous for the uninitiated, as well as preserving the vast array of amp-knowledge in a nicely organized manner.

Just think, a Wikipedia for All Things Amplified..
0 x

rick32559
Unrated

stuff in my garage

Post by rick32559 »

I forgot to mention that I have sprague filter caps that mount in tube sockets still in the original boxes. Never seen these before. My buddy Steve was cleaning all his audio stuff out of his garage and I happened to stop by there. Needless to say, I cleaned him out. I`ll get a digital camera here soon and post some pics. Later; Rick
0 x

brownnote
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by brownnote »

They might be vibrators...
0 x

StratoRat
Unrated

Post by StratoRat »

I think a lot of the ideas posted in this thread are really good.

Some rules around edicate would make since. For example:

1) Please don't post incomplete information, or information you are not 100% sure of. This is just being considerate of other folks on the site. If you accidently post something that is wrong you could be costing someone else hours, days, even weeks of time, frustration, and money. They might search the site, reference books, etc, and find conflicting information, then end up thinking the site is useless because they get understandably frustrated. Remember this is a World Wide Web site. When you post wrong or incomplete information you are tell the whole world something about yourself...

2) Please don't ask or answer questions in the same thread that are previously answered or asked in the same thread. Please read the entire thread before you post a reply.

3) Please don't post a reply unless you are sure you have an answer or good comment. Posting assumptions or something you are not sure of can really confuse other folks, even people who have experience.

I also think a proven layout of "all" schematic's should be included right under the schematic.
Good idea, especially the "proven" part. I noticed there are some schematics like the old one for the 36 watt in some galleries that appear to be out of date and inaccurate. Removing old files that have inaccuracies in them is a good idea. They only create confusion.

Also I see a lot of duplication when I do searches for different topics. Much of the duplication is where newbies are asking the same questions, some of them very basic. If we could somehow better consolidate and organize information it should reduce duplicate questions.

A few simple docs on "how to" and pointers would be good. For example

1) Don't expect a $30 iron from Radio Shack to do a good job. Get a good 50watt+ iron that properly maintains tip temperature, is adjustable, etc.

2) Clean all leads and solder points before soldering

3) Constantly pull your new solder through a paper towel to clean it before you solder

4) keep the tip of your iron clean using a wet sponge before each solder joint you make

5) Use alegator clips as a heat-sink on leads of caps, resistors, etc while you solder them in place. This will reduce the chances of over heating the components while soldering them in.

etc, etc..

A list of inferior vs. better quality components might be a good idea. For example I've found that Alpha pots are pretty bad. I have one as a MV in my 36 watt that creates all kinds of hum at 0 because the contacts at 0 are messed up. It's a brand-new pot and I need to replace it.

Maybe there should be an area that contains "proven" layouts and matching schematics that a monkey could build from, then other areas could be more discussion and experimental.

Maybe levels of access control could help in some of these areas. For example a newbie can only access the proven materails after downloading docs on basic information. After they have posted pics and wav files of an amp they have working they could then get access to the more expermental topics. I don't know... maybe this is too harsh...

These are just my suggestions.
0 x

allynmey
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by allynmey »

Gabi, don't forget to add a link for AA (amplifiers anonymous). Any newbie will be needing that one in about a month! :lol:

Allynmey

Problem? what problem!
0 x

FredsGotSlacks
Unrated

Extreme Newb Suggestions

Post by FredsGotSlacks »

Hi all!

I've been wanting to build an amp for a while now. I'm with No Gaurantees, I love building stuff myself. It gives you not only a sense of pride but also a greater understanding of what you're working with. I'm considering purchasing the new 18 watt lite kit from sweetwood guitars. it's the IIb. however, it says to follow the instructions and schematics on 18watt.com, but that all looks pretty greek to me, aside from my recent research into reading schematics. At least at this point, i need some VERY basic things explained to me. So a sticky with some of the first things you out there learned would be great. For example:

what kind of soldering iron do i need?

what are the ESSENTIAL tools for beginning to build an amp?

schematics explained, a simple link for this will work.

layout vs. schematic and what does each really tell you?

in what order should components be assembled? (Where the hell do i start?!)

and lastly, to aid with the professional look of the site, on the far left side of the main menu, under modules, "diclaimer" is spelled incorrectly. Not trying to nit pick, just to be helpful. I feel like we all want people to recognize this site as a valuable resource full of knowledgeable peolple (myself excluded). I look forward to asking you all lots of stupid questions, but I promise to pass the knowledge on in the future.

Regards,
Ian
0 x

Gabi
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by Gabi »

Ian!

Welcome to the 18watt Club, and thanks for the input! I fixed the Disclaimer spelling... I still have to get to the Downloads arrangement chapter.

Don't worry about asking stupid questions --- Hehehe --- you should read my first posts to the 18watt club!!!

POst on and build many amps!

Gabi
0 x

tubetwang
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by tubetwang »

I'd love to see a gallery consisting of pics and bios of the founding fathers of this cozy little web site...:roll:

Come on now...don't be shy... :oops:
0 x

caglej

Post by caglej »

I ran into this while randomly surfing........It covers quite a bit of things which may be useful.......:wink:

http://www.tpub.com/content/neets/index.htm
0 x

dartanion
Extremely Active Poster!
Extremely Active Poster!

Post by dartanion »

Ian,

Sweetwood and I are putting these kits together as we speak. I can assure you that a full set of instructions will be included with the kit. Our website is not quite up to date with all the necessary tidbits, but will get there in the near future. We make reference to 18watt.com as it is necessary to support this great forum. You can learn a whole lot by hanging around here and discussing the intricacies of the 18watt circuit.

Anyway, if you have any further questions about our kits, let's take it off line as this is not a place to advertise. You can reach me at:

darin at sweetwoodguitars dot com
0 x

jem

Access controls

Post by jem »

StratoRat wrote: Maybe levels of access control could help in some of these areas. For example a newbie can only access the proven materails after downloading docs on basic information. After they have posted pics and wav files of an amp they have working they could then get access to the more expermental topics. I don't know... maybe this is too harsh...
Don't like this idea.
For example, would put members like Doug Hoffman, Kevin O'Connor (to name but a few) in the "restricted" zone.
A true newbie needs more and better information, not less.

Just my opinion.

You could always have a poll to take a vote on information that is in the newbie FAQ area. At least there would be a consensus of the members, plus the newbie would understand by the vote results how subjective some of the information is. For example, "The schematic symbol for a resistor is" should get 100% agreement, and "A resistor sounds like" vote would most likely not.
0 x

Luigi
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Luigi »

I've been here for a long time but I haven't posted very much as I am pretty new to this building thing and as I am learning from you guys I don't have much to offer that you guys don't already know.

Here is what I would like to see....(questions that I had). I know this stuff is all in the forums but it's not easy searching the forum as it is getting pretty big.

1) A safety section that details how to take safe measurements, drain caps, lists the areas of the highest voltages in the amp...etc.

2) An expanded troubleshooting/information section that lists the common problems that usually pop up and suggested fixes for them. Also, some basic information about the 18watt circuit. For example, Doug Hoffman has a great pic of current flow in an amp that answered quite a few questions for me.
http://www.hoffmanamps.com/charts/currentflow.htm

Just my thoughts.
0 x

NitroLiq
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by NitroLiq »

I wonder if a newbie forum might be helpful or not? That way, those of us just starting out can ask our basic questions, whether it be about soldering, electronics, building, tools, etc. without cluttering up the technical forum. Then again, it may be weird splitting up the forums as ppl might be more confused as to where their post belongs. Just thinking aloud, here.
0 x

BBQLS1
Old timer, Never stops talking
Old timer, Never stops talking

Post by BBQLS1 »

Access to info based on how long you have been here or how many posts you have made sounds like scientology to me. Sounds like a bad idea. If newbies can't get information here, they will go somewhere they can. I know I would.

I also don't think a newbie forum would work because most of the people with knowlege won't be surfing them.
0 x
Don´t ask me what I think of you. I might not give the answers you want me to.

sixfootape

Post by sixfootape »

I'd like to see a standard TMB and Trem version layout clearly identifying each section and their components with their respective names and "nicknames". Kinda like that guitar chord poster from the 80's. I know this would take some work (probablly not much for a senior bldr) but how else is one to know what is meant by cathode follower or bypass caps or grid leak reisistor if you've never been shown where it is let alone what it is and what it job is? I think it would eliminate a little of the guessing game I've experienced...
1 x

candh
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by candh »

[I'd like to see a standard TMB and Trem version layout clearly identifying each section and their components with their respective names and "nicknames". Kinda like that guitar chord poster from the 80's. I know this would take some work (probablly not much for a senior bldr) but how else is one to know what is meant by cathode follower or bypass caps or grid leak reisistor if you've never been shown where it is let alone what it is and what it job is? I think it would eliminate a little of the guessing game I've experienced...]

YES PLEASE. That would be so helpful. I'm finally getting a hang of what is what and I realize it should be learned but I would rather get in, tweak, and get back to playing. I do love lurking here but the jargon (not the concepts) is overwhelming . One simple labeled layout of a standard 18w would save hours of frustration.
0 x

NitroLiq
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by NitroLiq »

Something like this except for the 18 watt circuits?
0 x

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

In this line of thinking, you might check out Dave Hunter's Tube Amp Handbook. It looks at the innards of a lot of standard amp designs with a circuit by circuit analysis.
0 x

sixfootape

Post by sixfootape »

Yes that is great... I'll also look into the Dave Hunter book you mentioned RJGTR. I love this place :D
0 x