What Every Newcomer Should Know...

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

sixfootape

Post by sixfootape »

I'd like to see a standard TMB and Trem version layout clearly identifying each section and their components with their respective names and "nicknames". Kinda like that guitar chord poster from the 80's. I know this would take some work (probablly not much for a senior bldr) but how else is one to know what is meant by cathode follower or bypass caps or grid leak reisistor if you've never been shown where it is let alone what it is and what it job is? I think it would eliminate a little of the guessing game I've experienced...
1 x

candh
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by candh »

[I'd like to see a standard TMB and Trem version layout clearly identifying each section and their components with their respective names and "nicknames". Kinda like that guitar chord poster from the 80's. I know this would take some work (probablly not much for a senior bldr) but how else is one to know what is meant by cathode follower or bypass caps or grid leak reisistor if you've never been shown where it is let alone what it is and what it job is? I think it would eliminate a little of the guessing game I've experienced...]

YES PLEASE. That would be so helpful. I'm finally getting a hang of what is what and I realize it should be learned but I would rather get in, tweak, and get back to playing. I do love lurking here but the jargon (not the concepts) is overwhelming . One simple labeled layout of a standard 18w would save hours of frustration.
0 x

NitroLiq
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by NitroLiq »

Something like this except for the 18 watt circuits?
0 x

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

In this line of thinking, you might check out Dave Hunter's Tube Amp Handbook. It looks at the innards of a lot of standard amp designs with a circuit by circuit analysis.
0 x

sixfootape

Post by sixfootape »

Yes that is great... I'll also look into the Dave Hunter book you mentioned RJGTR. I love this place :D
0 x

BBQLS1
Old timer, Never stops talking
Old timer, Never stops talking

Post by BBQLS1 »

Basic differences

Original - 2 channel, not footswitchable, tone and volume controls for both channels, tremolo controls on one channel.

TMB - Original with the trem channel replaced with Volume, Treble, Middle, Bass controls.

Lite and Variants - One channel, high/low inputs, Volume and Tone controls.

Minimalist - Like a Lite, but no tone control. Use the guitar's tone controls.
0 x
Don´t ask me what I think of you. I might not give the answers you want me to.

E-rex
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by E-rex »

NitroLiq wrote:Something like this except for the 18 watt circuits?
That is a great page...nice score! I wish there was a page like that for my 1981' 2203.

Thanks!
0 x

Daniel7
Unrated

Post by Daniel7 »

As a newbie I just wanted to say thanks for all the resources in this thread, awesome stuff. :)
0 x

greeny
Unrated

Post by greeny »

As a very newbie I just wanted to say that only by reading a lot of stuff here I already found a few answers to my questions. I'm still in the planning-phase of building a TMB, but I know for sure that here's the place to be !

Greeny
0 x

dustin_writes

Articles along with the forum?

Post by dustin_writes »

So, how about an area for articles?

I'm a big fan of the way freshmeat.net operates. It's a nerd-based Linux site (I know, it goes without saying). People submit articles and Senior Members vote to determine the hierarchy of the articles. I've been told it's a fairly simple program that allows the whole system to work... not my field. But...

If I were putting together a Freshmeat-style article right now I would write about what 18watt variant most folks are building right now. I'd link to the schematic, the parts list, pictures of complete builds, gut shots, and to other relevant articles. I'd also provide a list of Vendors and plain folks that sell Kits for that build.

One other thing that confuses me, the Search feature in the Forum mode isn't very helpful.

But, I won't go away without saying, I love 18watt.com. If you don't change nothin' I'll still be fine.

Thanks,
-dustin
1 x