Best 4x12 sounding cabinet?

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Darryl
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Best 4x12 sounding cabinet?

Post by Darryl »

My local amp guru told me that Mojo makes an exact replica of the 60's style Marshall 4x12 cabinet, which in his opinion is the holy grail of cabinet tone. He said he consulted with Mojo on part of the construction. Any truth to Mojo making a great 4x12 cabinet?

http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/cgi-bi ... 00119.html

Who makes the best sounding 4x12 cabinet?

Thanks, Darryl
0 x

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

Swanson and Trinity also make great cabinets. Avatar makes solid cabinets and they have great prices.

A lot of it is in the ear of the beholder. The first thing in a quality cabinet is using quality Birch ply of the right thickness. For a vintage tone the back should also be made of birch. In the 70s, Marshall switched to MDF, which makes for a stronger and more dead back. Each type has it's benefits.

FWIW, the current 1960 series Marshall cabinets are well made too. The wiring might be better (which is easily replaced). Also you might replace the back with a Birch back for a more vintage vibe. In fact, any used Marshall 1960 series cabinet would also be a good choice.

Nothing against the Mojo, their work is great.
0 x

malt
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Re: Best 4x12 sounding cabinet?

Post by malt »

Darryl wrote:
Who makes the best sounding 4x12 cabinet?
fender tone master 4x12 cab is one of the best.
0 x

davemw
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by davemw »

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=g ... id/480689/ dont spend your money on a name yes fender is great but that beh is great, it blows away my marshall 1960a cab. its a rock solid cab that will to mono and stereo. read the reviews its great and that price you see is shipped to your door, i got it in 4 days. :P yes i know it crap but it rocks clean and full on balls the wall dist!!!
0 x

fightingzero
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by fightingzero »

My 3 cabs (if I had the money for them) would either be a Diezel 4x12, Bogner Uberkab 4x12, or an Orange 4x12. The Orange cab just has a tone that make me lose all control..
0 x