Grill Cloth for the "non-traditional" builder

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

mervgriffen
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Grill Cloth for the "non-traditional" builder

Post by mervgriffen »

I was looking up places to get grill cloth for when I'm done with my cab. I know alot of you like to keep things true to the original design. I respect you, but I don't see the fun in that. How about doing something weird, something different.

This site has alot of neat old radio grill cloths that would pair nicely with a well finished cabinet.

www.grillecloth.com

Looking at the "palettes" on the "about" link is probably the easiest way to view them all. I'm thinking of doing a natural finish on a hardwood cab with a really unique flair to it. I think some of these grill cloths could certainly qualify as "unique". Plus they seem to be pretty reasonably priced.

Just FYI,

Aaron
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

They have alot of good stuff.. be sure you check the size..some of those only come in small sizes.. {i believe} QAntique electronics also carries old radio grill cloth,and some pretty goo looking stuff..Also,some of the radio stuff is not as heavy duty as some of the basket weve etc.. made more like the Vox type cloth

"""doing something weird, something different"""

I thrive on that..lol
Richie
0 x

jhguitarlab
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by jhguitarlab »

I’ve been thinking that myself. Coincidentally, I just scored some at a barn sale on Saturday. Replacement grille cloth purchased in the 50’s, still in original plastic wrapper. I peeled the plastic back on one roll for the sample photo below. Oh boy, more projects.
JH
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

another good place is these old car shops that do the seat covers and trim..there is one here thats been in buisness since 1948,they have some torquise basketweace and hundreds of rolls of weird stuff that you could use for amps. So check out some of those places. That looks like some nice cloth you scored!

Richie
0 x

ampkits
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by ampkits »

Hi,

I agree. Car upholstery shops would be great, and I think price is good.

Watch out for old clothes. Some could be very frail. My friend scored rolls upon rolls (err...6 big rolls) of NOS Vox cloth, only to find it very very fragile (breaks at mere touch), except towards the center of roll.

But some would be OK. He also scored NOS Fender clothes, and they were perfect.

I also think making your own design is cool. Nothing beats an amp that looks good in your house, as well as sounds great. You have to consider SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor).

Nik
0 x

jhguitarlab
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by jhguitarlab »

SAF, How funny. My music room has deep red walls (Cajin Spice says my wife) and most of my amps are black Tolex expect for a couple of Tweeds. My wife reminded me that those were only acceptable because some of the pictures have yellow in them.
JH
0 x

ampkits
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by ampkits »

Hmm..

Now, Cajun Spice is it? You can definitely do lipstick red (Calling Zaphod Phil!! hehehe) for tolex, they would match nicely.

One of my rooms is red (plus beige). Something beige or light colored would be ok, I think.

OK, dear. I'm off to bake some cookies now, and knit some mittens...;)

Thanks!

Nik
0 x

jhguitarlab
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by jhguitarlab »

You might get away with a brown Princeton or something in there. It's worth a try;-]

JH
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

ampkits wrote:You can definitely do lipstick red (Calling Zaphod Phil!! hehehe) for tolex, they would match nicely.
No sissy pretty colour for any of my amps. Black tolex and black grill cloth.... :lol:
0 x

jhguitarlab
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by jhguitarlab »

Then when everyone goes home the lavander-lace amp covers go on them.
(Oops don't now if that was out of line;-]
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Hey, that was my secret - who told you about that? :lol:
0 x

jhguitarlab
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by jhguitarlab »

It was Nik, I mean Richie, no I think it was a pop up on the yahoo site.
0 x