What to build with a 15watt Single Ended OT?

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

JohnnyCrash
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

What to build with a 15watt Single Ended OT?

Post by JohnnyCrash »

OK,

I've got an EXTRA Hammond 125ESE 15 watt single ended (Class A) Output Tranny sitting in my pile...

I can use it as an overpowered OT for something else, but I really want to get the MOST out of it.

1. Any recommendations? What would you build?
2. Could I build a 20 watt Class A amp safely with this OT (I've heard Hammonds are conservatively rated)?

Oooh, I've got some new assorted chassis lying around as well...

BRING ON THE SUGGESTIONS!
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

That's the OT normally used for the P1 eXtreme, a popular and very gutsy SE amp. You'll get close to that 20W with a 6550 or KT88 power tube. With a 6L6GC or E34L, you'll get slightly under 15W, 12W with an EL34 and 6W with a 6V6. And apologies for the shameless plug. :)
http://www.ax84.com/dp.php?pg=projects& ... p1-extreme
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

JohnnyCrash
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by JohnnyCrash »

Shameless plug? Are you part of AX84 or something?

Yeah, I had my eye on the p1extreme...

Just ordered some more iron, so NOW I'm not sure what to do... was thinking about building a parallel SE Champ with two 6V6s and a MV... IDK.

I like the idea of a cathode followed tone stack to drive the power section, perhaps I can omit the 2nd Gain knob on the Hi-Octane?

IDK, I guess I can go over to the AX84 forum for that question! HAHA

--
NOTE
I do have my homebuilt Champ running a 10watt Hammond and I switch out the 6V6 for either a 6L6 or an EL34, and it seems to handle the wattage of the 6L6/EL34 OK.
0 x

s2
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by s2 »

You could do a pair of 6V6s in parallel or a single EL34 or 6L6 with that OT with no probs.
0 x
--s2
Custom Amplifiers
Amp Parts & Accessories
www.s2amps.com
www.category5amps.com

Dynaflow_Donnie
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Dynaflow_Donnie »

Johnny,

Question on that Champ you did with the switch... I'm looking to do a champ next I think. I've got some board material, a chassis so I was going to look at buying iron. I think the hammond 125ese would do since it was mentioned, what did you do for power. I'm thinking a EL34 champ, I don't need to switch tubes as I really like the 34's. What PT would you suggest since you've done some of these Champs. I'm thinking of using either mallory or sozo for caps just to get a different flavor than the OD's. Sort of a what if Marshall did a champ... I'm thinking maybe diode rectified as I'm reading with SE amps that theres little sag anyway. Any info you (or others) might give would be appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,

Dyna

Ps: Oh yeah, I haven't forgotten about posting a sound clip of my 18, just have to wait till the S.0. is out of the house so I can crank it and see what I can get recorded, if anyone cares that is.. :D
0 x

Prophet
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Prophet »

Hey,

I am working on a new SE amp with tremolo EL84 2x ECC83. I had Heyboer custom make me some SE OT's with 4k Pri. It is a RS clone 18 watt but SE. I will be using my 18 watt PT. I might put it into production have to see how it sounds. I found a nice early 60's British amp I will be using as the platform.

Antonio
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

JohnnyCrash wrote:Shameless plug? Are you part of AX84 or something?
I have to admit to being the person who originally kind of developed that amp... :)
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp